Author Topic: ATS Records and Medals  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Kateis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ATS Records and Medals
« on: Sunday 10 February 19 23:37 GMT (UK) »
My grandma served in the ATS in World War II. I have so few details about her service, I know she was based in Leicestershire but that's about it. I doubt I could access her military records because my mam isn't the eldest child, and therefore, not next of kin. And her eldest sibling is not very interested in all of this.

As for her medals, if my mam asked about them, my grandma would get defensive and say she had to pay for them and so never got them. Was this true at the time? As far as I know, it wasn't, but I could be wrong.

Would there be a way of checking about the medals, and could my mam and I gain access to her records? If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful :)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ATS Records and Medals
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 07:59 GMT (UK) »
MOD does not draw any distinction between one child and another when it comes to next of kin.  You mother is next of kin as far as applying for the records is concerned.

While people did have to claim their medals, they did not have to pay for them.

There are apparently only about 7000 ATS records surviving but your mother should apply and good luck.  Once you know what her entitlement was you could think about applying for them.  In all likelihood she qualified for the War Medal and the Defence Medal.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Kateis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, MaxD. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information online about the applications, so thank you for the insight! :)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
You can still claim the medals: I've just received a Defence Medal awarded to my father.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 19 14:04 GMT (UK) »
It is as Max said - just get your mum to apply and tick the box for daughter.  My wife applied for her mother's records recently - we knew she was in the ATS and drove lorries but that was about it.  The records, with a little interpretation, really explained what she did and when.   Go for it!
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial