Author Topic: Seeking help to locate the correct Betty Parkinson  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help to locate the correct Betty Parkinson
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Jesse born July 1805, bapt. Nov. 1805 at Emmanuel, Holcombe. Abode Affetside.

I still think that Jesse might have been one of yours.
A Jesse Pilling, coal miner, married Honour Scholes at Bury in 1829. Children John, James and Jethro were baptised at Tottington. Abode was Elton which is a township immediately north of Bury town and bordering Tottington. Alice was baptised at Tottington although abode was Radcliffe. William baptised at Ringley and Eli at Radcliffe. I thought naming a child Jethro may be significant, perhaps after Jethro who was born 1821 and died young.
There was another Jesse Pilling, son of John & Esther of Tottington, who was baptised at Bury 1813. A John & Esther Pilling of Affetside had more children baptised at Tottington around same time as John & Betty. 5 names were common to both families. They probably all had distinguishing nicknames.
Cowban

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Phew, thank you very much for all that information.

I will have to go through it very carefully, and take my time.

I had not realised that pilling and Parkinson were common, only checking out the families I was interested in. Should have looked wider.

Again, many thanks.

AC

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Were these their children?
Jesse born July 1805, bapt. Nov. 1805 at Emmanuel, Holcombe. Abode Affetside.

Cyrus 1815 bapt. St. Anne, Tott., abode Virgin's Inn, father's occupation weaver
Betty 1817 bapt. St. Anne, Tott., occ. weaver
Charles 1819 bapt. St. Mary, Bury, abode Tott., occ. weaver
Jethro 1821 bapt. St. Anne, Tott., abode Virgin's Inn,
Hannah 1823 bapt. St. Anne, Tott., abode Virgin's Inn, father's occupation pit sinker
Matty 1824 bapt. St. Anne, Tott., abode Virgin's Inn, occupation pit sinker
Where is/was Virgin's Inn?

Virgin's Inn was named on Ordnance survey map Lancashire 87, surveyed 1844-47 and  published 1850. The map includes parts of Bolton, Bury, Radcliffe and Turton. Virgin's Inn was marked simply as "Inn" on 1894 map.
National Library of Scotland map collection https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344024
Virgin's Inn was a short distance west along the road from the main part of Affetside (spelled Affeside on old maps). There is a building in that location on modern maps.

Affe(t)side Colliery was marked on 1850 map. There was another colliery at Buckley Fold. Many more former coal pits were dotted around, ("old coal pits"). Several were around Bradshaw Brook. Slack Lane leads from Affetside; I wondered if origin was coal-slack or slag.
Map Lancashire 79 is immediately to west. This map which includes Turton was also surveyed 1844-1847. More old coal pits marked on road beyond Virgin's Inn, between "Eccles Wives" and "Bull's Head" Inn, one between the turnpike (main) road and Walves Reservoir and more SW of the "Bull's Head".  Quarlton Colliery was a short walk north.
Ralph Pilling, miner, was living at Virgin's Inn in 1818 when his daughter Alice was baptised. Another  Pilling child was baptised on same day, daughter of Charles Pilling , miner, abode Affetside.
 2 families at Virgin's Inn who weren't called Pilling also had children baptised at St. Anne, Tottington.
Could John have combined careers of weaving and mining, switching from one to the other depending on fluctuations in both industries? Or gave up weaving when handloom weavers were facing hardship? Combining 2 occupations wasn't unusual. Weaving and farming went together. Some farmers in Rossendale Valley (to the north) were also quarriers.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Affetside used to be split between 2 townships, Tottington Lower End and Bradshaw and therefore between Bury parish and Bolton. There may have been Pilling baptism and burials in registers of Bradshaw Chapel. St. Maxentius, Bradshaw was an old church. Registers are not on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website. They are at Lancashire Archives.
When registration of births, marriages and deaths began in 1837, registration district for  Affetside residents would depend on which part of the village the event occurred.
Local government reorganisations of 19th and 20th centuries kept Affetside divided until 25 years ago.
There is an online township map of Bradshaw, including part of Affetside, in "A Vision of Britain Through Time".
See GENUKI page for Bradshaw.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 02:52 GMT (UK) »
A bit more about Jesse Pilling, the person I think was another son of your John & Betty. (Reply #9)
Marriage 1845 St. Mary Virgin, Radcliffe
Jesse Pilling, full age, collier, widower, Whitefield
Margaret Humphrey, full age, widow, Whitefield
Groom's father John Pilling, carter
A witness was Squire Lomax. Lomax was a common name around Bury. There were several Lomax families in Affetside. Used to be pronounced "Lummocks". Squire was a popular forename in Bury area. It was a name used in the Affetside Pilling tribe.

Jesse's former wife was Honour.
Burial Sept. 1844 St. Thomas, Radcliffe
Honor Pilling, aged 39, abode Radcliffe.

Whitefield is next to Radcliffe.
Cowban

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 February 19 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all that information. I will have to spend quite some time going through it, and looking at it all.

I had not seen Jesse before you mentioned him. I have not had the chance to do anything the last couple of days, due to a major blackout a couple of days ago.

Again, many thanks.

AC