Author Topic: Voluntary regiments in Ottawa, Canada  (Read 364 times)

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Voluntary regiments in Ottawa, Canada
« on: Monday 11 February 19 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have been researching my gt gt grandpa Alexander John Wilson b. abt 1813, Halifax, NS for a very long time now with no success until recently I was sent a possible 1838 millitary payslip with a signature remarkably like his.

The name of the regiment is hard to make out but I think it reads Danville Voluntary Regiment and the record is from the Ottawa Public Records.

The regiment Company was led by Captain Joshua Thompson.

I have no idea where to begin researching this regiment, where they originated from or why they were formed, where the volunteers enlisted or why they were in Danville. I can't find any record of any unrest in that area in the 1830s.

Also sent to me was his photo taken in 1874 (Leeds UK) and written on the back in his own handwriting is his signature, d.o.b. 8 July 1812 Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I would be really appreciative if anyone would be able to enlighten me and/or point me in the right direction.

This is the first piece of possible info come to light that may help me to find what he was doing in Canada between birth and going to Scotland around 1840 - 1842 and also where his parents may have been at the time of Alexander's enlistment in Canada.

Thanking you very much.

Marj

I have found that the area was Dunville ( sometimes spelled Dunnville).

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Voluntary regiments in Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 05:24 GMT (UK) »
I found this not sure if its much help tho.

Ira Everingham (b.1813) and his brother Henry Everingham (b.1819) were found on a pay list of Captain Joshua Thompson's Dunnville Volunteers, February of 1838. they were assisting the Canadian government to contain uprisings.

http://www.everingham.com/family/war2.html

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Voluntary regiments in Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you so much for that. At least I can see Cpt. J Thompson was still in Dunville in February. I'll try and find the original payslip to see if Alexander Wilson is listed also. The payslip I was given is for December 1838. I thought if I worked backwards from Dec 1838, I might be able to trace Alex's earlier history that way. It's been so hard to do to date.

Marj