Author Topic: A Coincidence or are they Family???  (Read 1987 times)

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Coincidence or are they Family???
« on: Monday 11 February 19 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Just after peoples thoughts on the following. Im trying to trace the English family of my 3x Great Grandfather Robert Mason from Great Yarmouth & Woolwich that was sent to Australia as a convict.

Robert Mason was the illegitimate child of Sarah Mason. He was born in 1801 in Great Yarmouth. He married Mary Hindry and they had a son Robert Hindry Mason. After he was sent to Australia in 1830 on board the Henry Tanner he married Anne Morrison. They had the following children:

Sarah Anne Mason 1847-1923
Caroline Rebecca Mason 1850-1931
Randal Harrison Mason 1856-1857
3 Unknown Male Children (As per Anne Morrison Death Certificate)

Im trying to find the family of Sarah Mason (Mother). I have come across the following family:

Sarah born to John Mason & Sarah Harrison in 1778 in Great Yarmouth. Other children to John and Sarah:

John 1770, Hemsby Norfolk
William 1772 Hemsby Norfolg
Anne 1776 Great Yarmouth
James 1783 Great Yarmouth
Thomas 1786 Great Yarmouth
Mary 1788 Great Yarmouth
Harriett 1793 Great Yarmouth

There is a Sarah Mason who had another illegitimate child in 1803 to Robert Kidd, the son was called James Mason. James had a daughter Caroline that appears to be living with her grandmother Sarah on the Census in 1841.

Note: Sarah Harrison had a brother called Randal Harrison.

So is the following a coincidence or should i assume the above is the right family:

If correct my Grandfather Robert Mason has a great uncle called Randal Harrison. Robert named his own son Randal Harrison Mason.

He also named his daughter Caroline, was this named after what would have been his niece who was born in 1829, the year before he was sent to Australia.

Roberts family petitioned for clemency for his return to England. The petition, not containing any Mason surnames, is signed "Sarah Mason Mother", one might assume that sarah never married, however the 1851 census has Sarah (Also her granddaughter Caroline living with her still) listed as a widow.

Im having trouble trying to find anything that confirms the above, but i think there are some coincidences that point to it as being correct, but i dont want to assume and get it wrong.

Gladly welcome anyone's thoughts or suggestions on where I can try and find info (Im in Australia so visiting Local Records Offices inst an option). I have another post relating to Robert that provides more info about him https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=762747.0

Cheers
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Coincidence or are they Family???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 09:39 GMT (UK) »
That all sounds quite promising.  Is the only fly in the ointment the fact that Sarah Mason claimed to be a widow rather than unmarried in 1851?  If so it wouldn't be that surprising given that she was a grandmother - "widow" would have saved her blushes about having had her children out of wedlock.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

Im leaning towards that this is the right family. However I have seen a lot of people attached the wrong family to another of my ancestors, so im a bit apprehensive.

I cant find a death record for Sarah either.....
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »

I cant find a death record for Sarah either.....

Have you considered the Sarah Mason whose death aged 81 was registered Mar qtr 1859 Yarmouth 4b 3?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
That could be right, the birth year is the same as Roberts potential mother. Matches with her not being married. I might have to buy the death certificate....
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 11:52 GMT (UK) »
If you order it now, the pdf "certificate" will cost you £6 - going up to £7 on 16 February.

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I have ordered the one for Sarah (Potential Mother) and then the one for Roberts son and grandson (I know these to be correct).

Ive looked into the Harrison Family a bit more - there was a William Harrison that was working as a carpenter in Great Yarmouth around the same time Robert was born. As Robert was a carpenter im think this was a relation of his (Maybe) Grandmother and its from him he learnt his trade. I have also found Randal Harrison died the year before Robert moved from Great Yarmouth to Woolwich, adds more weight to my Grandfather calling his own son Robert Harrison (Mason).

Hopefully Sarah's death certificate provides some info, but I think this is the right family.
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully Sarah's death certificate provides some info, but I think this is the right family.

I agree with avm, the circumstantial evidence is good but do not be swayed by others trees, go with your own research & docs.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Thanks for your response. Yes I always go with my own research. I have seen many people make mistakes with their trees by not properly researching (Many people have one of my grandfathers attached to the wrong family, which they would realize if the research fully).

I haven't actually come across any trees that show ancestors of my Grandfather, nor any results from DNA tests that can confirm.

Thanks again

:)
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE