Author Topic: A Coincidence or are they Family???  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: A Coincidence or are they Family???
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes I always go with my own research. I have seen many people make mistakes with their trees by not properly researching (Many people have one of my grandfathers attached to the wrong family, which they would realize if the research fully).

Ditto & likewise, easily researched but things wrong, extra kids, all copied although some is correct & the people in my direct line (2 x g gparents) my 2 x g g/mother was actually widowed i.e. had a large family but those trees have the kids all from my 2 x g g/father with extras!

Another person had one of my direct line going back & forward (by boat or swimming) to a different island as it was the only way he could have & having children there too yet at home where he should have been on every census & if I recall, signed every birth but I sorted out the persons tree for them which had no remote connection with my own!  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 03:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm with the others.  There are so many coincidences that it probably won't be a waste of money buying the certs you need.   Apprenticeship registry lists usually give names of father, apprentice and employer - unfortunately, there was no need to register an apprenticeship if the apprentice was in the employ of a family member.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 06:53 GMT (UK) »
  Apprenticeship registry lists usually give names of father, apprentice and employer - unfortunately, there was no need to register an apprenticeship if the apprentice was in the employ of a family member.

Thanks - that would explain why I cant find any apprentice info. About 1830 left left Great Yarmouth for Woolwich, Kent to work as a journeyman carpenter for WH Mason - trying to find if he is related but no such luck. I do know he had an Aunt at Woolwich, but no other info (Is on the petition for clemency documents)
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 February 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Have just received back the death certificate for Sarah. It says:

Widow of James Mason Carpenter Journeyman (This is the same occupation as my grandfather)
Informant was James Mason, Victoria Road (This is the same address as James Mason/Kidd)

Neither the 1841 or 1851 census has James Mason (Husband) living with her.

So this is definitely the Sarah Mason that could be Roberts potential mother, but doesnt confirm either way that she is my grandfathers mother.

I wonder if Sarah was perhaps saying that she was a widow to save the embarrassment of having two illegitimate children???

Not too sure where to go from here....Perhaps I need to admit defeat.

MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE