Author Topic: Cannot find BDM NSW record of death for Bridget Brown nee McGuggin OR McGuggan  (Read 115 times)

Offline Tigers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
any help appreciated in solving the ongoing and extremely frustrating search for information on Bridget Brown nee McGuggin OR McGuggan.
Facts I know .....

(1) Arrived with her sister Mary on the RED ROVER on 10th August, 1832.
(2) Married Charles William Brown at Scots Church, Elizabeth Street, Sydney on 28th October, 1833.
(3) They had two children .... Charlotte Mary Ann who lived till 1918 and John who died in 1837 aged         5 months and 14 days.
(4) Bridget died on 8th June, 1837 at Elizabeth Street, Sydney after a long severe illness. I know this from a Death Notice placed in The Australian on 9th June, 1837 by her husband who was a newspaper Editor.

My health is not great and I would dearly love to solve the mystery as to exactly where in Ireland she originated, her parents names and to understand why there is no BDM Death record for her online.

Any thoughts?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find BDM NSW record of death for Bridget Brown nee McGuggin OR McGuggan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I donít think civil registration began in NSW until 1856.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find BDM NSW record of death for Bridget Brown nee McGuggin OR McGuggan
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:20 GMT (UK) »
There is just one death recorded for a Bridget Brown:-

BROWN  BRIDGET 184/1839 V1839184 132  AGE 33

This is from the NSW government website.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry must have read the info I found wrong!

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
You're not mistaken.  Trove shows the death notice you mention, with date 9th June 1837. ???

Yesterday Evening, at her residence, Elizabeth-street, Sydney, the Wife of Mr. Charles William
Brown, Compositor of the Commercial Journal, after seven months' severe illness.

Bevj
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia