Author Topic: Cannot find BDM NSW record of death for Bridget Brown nee McGuggin OR McGuggan  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Tigers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
any help appreciated in solving the ongoing and extremely frustrating search for information on Bridget Brown nee McGuggin OR McGuggan.
Facts I know .....

(1) Arrived with her sister Mary on the RED ROVER on 10th August, 1832.
(2) Married Charles William Brown at Scots Church, Elizabeth Street, Sydney on 28th October, 1833.
(3) They had two children .... Charlotte Mary Ann who lived till 1918 and John who died in 1837 aged         5 months and 14 days.
(4) Bridget died on 8th June, 1837 at Elizabeth Street, Sydney after a long severe illness. I know this from a Death Notice placed in The Australian on 9th June, 1837 by her husband who was a newspaper Editor.

My health is not great and I would dearly love to solve the mystery as to exactly where in Ireland she originated, her parents names and to understand why there is no BDM Death record for her online.

Any thoughts?

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find BDM NSW record of death for Bridget Brown nee McGuggin OR McGuggan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I don’t think civil registration began in NSW until 1856.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find BDM NSW record of death for Bridget Brown nee McGuggin OR McGuggan
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:20 GMT (UK) »
There is just one death recorded for a Bridget Brown:-

BROWN  BRIDGET 184/1839 V1839184 132  AGE 33

This is from the NSW government website.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry must have read the info I found wrong!

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
You're not mistaken.  Trove shows the death notice you mention, with date 9th June 1837. ???

Yesterday Evening, at her residence, Elizabeth-street, Sydney, the Wife of Mr. Charles William
Brown, Compositor of the Commercial Journal, after seven months' severe illness.

Bevj
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Tigers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 February 19 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's assistance but this may the proverbial dead end! I received this reply back from BDM ......

We have searched the death indexes for this person and was unable to find a record of her death under her married or maiden name.
The Registry began registering the full details of all Births, Deaths and Marriages in 1856. Any records held prior to this period are from the registers of various churches.
As there was no government facility to record the details of life events before 1856, there were no guidelines in place to assist ministers or priests, and so the information recorded in church registers was generally limited, if registered at all.
So it may be that her death was never registered at the time.

This may be of benefit in your research .......

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 February 19 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am sorry that the email reply from the NSW BDM enquiry does not help you find your Bridget's parents.  I can confirm that those Early Church Records are scant on the vital family history information as they are the Church burial registers. I confirm that until the NSW BDM was established and commenced operations (1 March 1856) that there was no civil administrative process for registering NSW deaths.  NSW death certificates frequently record the names of the parents of the deceased, also how long the deceased has lived in NSW/Australia, their marriage/s, details of their children, their usual address and other details, including the medico's certified cause/s of death, duration of the illness/es and the funeral director's certified records too...  But if the person died before the commencement of civil registration then we need to rely on the available church records and any family papers; deceased estate files/probate packets; newspaper reports; cemetery records; online indexes; offline indexes; family history groups research; published family history books;the various not for profit groups; commercial family history websites and of course Rootschat.  ;D

What information do you already have re your Bridget who arrived per the Red Rover in 1832?   Here is a live link to ten pages of the passenger list for that voyage (10 August 1832)

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5312&item=4_4822&ship=Red%20Rover

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 February 19 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Burial Registers have been filmed   ;)  :D

See project SAG, NLA, NSWSL

http://catalogue.sag.org.au/attachments/42611/Reel%200135.pdf  See their ref AO 5/4127 and also 54218 :D and perhaps seek out the image for your Bridget's burial ... perhaps there may be (and of course, likely NOT) a margin note on the register ...

Ask online via the National Library of Australia  :) https://www.nla.gov.au/askalibrarian

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 February 19 03:14 GMT (UK) »
I cannot confirm, but I think it very likely, that if you were to seek out the burial details for their infant son, that Bridget would have been buried with him.   However, I realise that you are seeking info about her Irish origins and are hoping to find her parents...

So may I ask what you have already gleaned from perhaps researching her sister who also came per the Red Rover in 1832 ...

JM