Author Topic: Identify uniform / location request  (Read 744 times)

Offline scottsinclair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identify uniform / location request
« on: Monday 11 February 19 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys
My grandfather, whom I never met, was in the army during WW2. He was from Lochgilphead in Argyll, Scotland.

I've recently been sent a picture of him in uniform. I note the stamp bottom right says "Cairo" suggesting he served there...I'd love to figure out the regiment though if this is possible based on the uniform?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identify uniform / location request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Mission impossible I'm afraid. His side hat would have a badge on the left side as we look at it but it can't be seen and his uniform has no distinguishing marks at all.  Do you have any medals/newspaper reports/letters??

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Might it have been 6 Infantry Division?  Just guessing really,  been looking at the following web site https://www.britishmilitaryhistory.co.uk/docs-middle-east-1930-1947-british-troops-egypt-1930-45.  which points to the troops being barracked at, Mersa Matruh Garrision;
Alexandria Sub-Area;
Cairo Sub-Area.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Here's the make up of 6th Infantry Division (scroll down to WW2)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Infantry_Division_(United_Kingdom)#Order_of_battle_Second_World_War

within which were umpteen regiments and corps units.  There were a number of other equally enormous divisions in North Africa.  Brave try but I'm not sure that guesswork would get anywhere!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 16:48 GMT (UK) »
The thing to do is to get a copy of his army file from MoD https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Point taken Max.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline scottsinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Will do, but is there likely "success" in finding his file since I have no regiment information? I read these requests can take up to a year, too (hopefully not)

The thing to do is to get a copy of his army file from MoD https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Check out the form required on the link ShaunJ posted.  You do need his full name and date of birth OR service number (plus death cert and £30), you don't need his regiment.  It does take a little time though although I think a year is a bit OTT.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk