Author Topic: Julia O'Callaghan, born 1859, Otonabee, Petersbourough, Ontario Canada  (Read 621 times)

Offline mobilenetmomma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Julia O'Callaghan, born 1859, Otonabee, Petersbourough, Ontario Canada
« on: Monday 11 February 19 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about Julia O'Callaghan, born circa 1859, Otonabee, Petersbourough, Ontario Canada. Julia immigrated to the United States circa 1882. Searching for information on her marriage either in Canada or United States prior to her marriage in 1896 to George Hafner. Julia had a daughter Rose that went by the maiden name of Ford.

Please feel free to contact me at *

*Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  New members need to make tow or three posts in order to access the system.  Thanks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Julia O'Callaghan, born 1859, Otonabee, Petersbourough, Ontario Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat

RootsChat says in its guidelines for posting " Please do not include personal contact details in
postings.  This includes e-mail addesses, postal addresses, telephone numbers, etc".

You will need to remove your email address. If anyone had any information they will post on this thread. Hope this helps.

http://surname.rootschat.com/help-pages/posting_guide.php

Presune this is Julia in 1900 So Sangamon St Chicago Ward 19, Cook, Illinois.

George Hafner   37
Julia Hafner   38
Rose Hafner   13 born March 1887 New York.
John Boland   27 Boarder
Mary Boland   25 Boarder

1881 Otonabee Peterborough - under Hallaghan.

John Hallahan   50 Elizabeth Hallahan 39
Julia Hallahan   21 Hanora Hallahan 19
Mary Hallahan   17 Helen Hallahan   15
Timothy Hallahan 13 Cathirane Hallahan 10
Margret Hallahan 8 John Hallahan   7
Daniel Hallahan   5 Elezibeth Hallahan 4
Harrriet Hallahan 2 Euagane Hallahan 10 months

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
There was a Julia Ford on the 1892 census Buffalo, Erie - Julia Forda born 1860 Canada - aged 32 years - alien - Rose Forda aged 5 years born USA.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQSC-G9J

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XWB9-4QL?cc=1529100

Marriage appears to be between the 1881 Canadian Census and 1887 when Rose was born  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
On the death of Geraldine Kent - born 18 April 1907 Illinois passed away 18 October 1983 La Porte Indiana
Father Julius Thorhauer and mother Rosemary O Callaghan.  Widowed.
Informant Mrs Lois Thomas - daughter

Burial Pine Lake Cemetery. La Porte Indiana

Geraldine appears to be Julia Thorhauer on the 1920 census Hastings Street Chicago Ward 11, Cook (Chicago), Illinois.

Born 1907

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NQRN-54D

Sandra

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

As mentioned by *Sandra*, please remove your email from this open public forum to protect your privacy. Click on the modify button on the post to do so.

Familysearch has the marriage record for Rose Ford to Julius Thorhauer. The image of same is apparently available from a pay site, possibly findmypast, but I couldn't open the source to see. This might provide her father's name to aid in the search for her parents' marriage.

Odd that Geraldine has O'Callahan for mother.....I expected it to be Ford?

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline mobilenetmomma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Everyone,
I apologize for immediately breaking the rules!

I have found all of these items which you have so kindly mentioned. 

Sandra my mother was the person that gave the information regarding Geraldine Kent.  And Geraldine Kent's Death Certificate is a perfect example of NOT being a primary source as my mother gave misinformation.  Geraldine's maiden name was Thorhauer, not O'Callahan.  Rosemar's maiden name (until I find a marriage Cedrtificate indicating she had been married prior to Julius Thorhauer) was Ford not O'Callaghan. 

By the time Julia O'Callahan married George Hafner Rose was 13 years old but the census taker put down that her last name was Hafner.

I have a copy of Rose Ford's marriage license to Julius Thorhauer which I purchased from the Cook County Illinois Vital Statistics, however it does not state whether she had been married before or not.  I have not found a marriage certificate  :-X

Sandra another problem is that the 1892 Census has Rose Forda as being 5, however in the 1900 Census she is 13...doesn't add up  :'(

Thank you everyone!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Its quite a common thing for new members to post there e-mail addresses, you can't know all of the rules from day 1.  Shouldn't worry about it.  ;)

Sorry I haven't found anything further.  The ages of Rosa on the 1892 and 1900 didn't look out of place to me - have I missed something  ???

Sandra

Offline mobilenetmomma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I am just sitting here shaking my head.  I have done the math at least five times and didn't catch that there are 8 years from when Rose is 5 years old until  1900 when she is 13!    :P
Thank you a new set of eyes really does do wonders. I am going to have to make a trip to Buffalo New York and sit in their wonderful Research Library and go through all of the church records they have.

Thank you again!
Carlee