Author Topic: Samuel J. Urquhart - Alabama - Bloodline?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline BingoBuster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel J. Urquhart - Alabama - Bloodline?
« on: Monday 11 February 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!

I'm having a little bit of trouble tracing back my fiances' roots and want to make sure I'm on the right path. Their family has claims to be descendants of the Scottish Urquhart clan, with her mother having done a little bit of research and the oral history going back a few generations, meeting some very distant cousins and so forth.

What I've been trying to find is that "correlation" between when their family began. My research and information has been that it may be from Samuel J. Urquhart (JUL 1842: Alabama - AUG 1885 : Early County, Georgia, USA ) who was a slave. Now this is probably all but impossible but I'm trying to see if Samuel was the illegitimate child Alexander Urquhart: AUG 1799(?): Georgia -  3 OCT 1864: Bethel Baptist, Clay County, Georgia). It goes from the family being Mulatto (mixed) to the  Scottish lineage of Urquhart.

I know I'm probably way off, and that the family tree can abruptly end with the slave trade history but any assistance would be appreciated! Thank you as always!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel J. Urquhart - Alabama - Bloodline?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!

I'm having a little bit of trouble tracing back my fiances' roots and want to make sure I'm on the right path. Their family has claims to be descendants of the Scottish Urquhart clan, with her mother having done a little bit of research and the oral history going back a few generations, meeting some very distant cousins and so forth.

What I've been trying to find is that "correlation" between when their family began. My research and information has been that it may be from Samuel J. Urquhart (JUL 1842: Alabama - AUG 1885 : Early County, Georgia, USA ) who was a slave. Now this is probably all but impossible but I'm trying to see if Samuel was the illegitimate child Alexander Urquhart: AUG 1799(?): Georgia -  3 OCT 1864: Bethel Baptist, Clay County, Georgia). It goes from the family being Mulatto (mixed) to the  Scottish lineage of Urquhart.

I know I'm probably way off, and that the family tree can abruptly end with the slave trade history but any assistance would be appreciated! Thank you as always!

There is an ancestry tree quoting Samuel J Urquhart but born 1825 Georgia - son of Alexander Haywood Urquhart 1799–1864 born  18 August 1799 - NC passed away 3 October 1864 - Early CO GA  ???

FIND A GRAVE

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/68858753

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »

1850 census Township 24, Tallapoosa, Alabama. Lockheart surname mis-transcribed.

Alexander Lockheart Age 51
Alitha Lockheart Age 43
Yelvington T Lockheart Age 16

message board post (30 December 2006) mention Y T Lockhart could be the brother of Samuel J Urquhart.
"Is it possible that Y.T. Urquhart and Samuel J. Urquhart are brothers and sons of Alexander and Althea" ?  ???

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=785&p=localities.northam.usa.states.georgia.counties.early

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline BingoBuster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »

1850 census Township 24, Tallapoosa, Alabama. Lockheart surname mis-transcribed.

Alexander Lockheart Age 51
Alitha Lockheart Age 43
Yelvington T Lockheart Age 16

message board post (30 December 2006) mention Y T Lockhart could be the brother of Samuel J Urquhart.
"Is it possible that Y.T. Urquhart and Samuel J. Urquhart are brothers and sons of Alexander and Althea" ?  ???

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=785&p=localities.northam.usa.states.georgia.counties.early

Sandra

I've run into those two graves and thought originally, but i'm not sure if my reaearch is flawed since theres a census record stating Samuel was born in Alamaba or if I'm getting two different people mixed up with Alexander.

The only thing in Alabama I could find with Alexander was a  Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry issued on Nov 1st, 1858. So I probably have the Alexanders mixed up?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:13 GMT (UK) »
It has been a long while since I worked on a black Southern U S family, so I forget most of the right terms, but you need to look for the Urquhart's plantation accounts books or whatever they are called. Sometimes the slaves are named, sometimes even birth dates are included. I wouldn't expect to find the father's name admitted to on the record, but there might be a Samuel in the slave side of household.

Somewhere there is a repository or list of repositories of where the various families' accounts books from each state have been donated to, I know I have seen the list, but again I forgot where.

One term I do remember is the Freeman's books. They are available online somewhere also. - records of dealings of recently freed slaves. The few I saw were usually filing complaints that they still weren't getting paid for their work. Samuel might be listed in them for some reason.

The US censuses for the relevant years record the # of free whites, but in the far right columns they are supposed to record the # of slaves as well.

all in all, I suggest finding this book:
Black Roots: A Beginners Guide To Tracing The African American Family Tree
by Tony Burroughs
which included this quote, badly paraphrased: 'at some point your family history becomes the history of the slaveowner's family', which is why you have to do the slaveowner's family as thoroughly as you would do your own.

It is great for research back to c. 1865 and then points you in the right direction before that.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Are there any direct line male descendants available for yDNA tests? or even autosomal  DNA might match the Urquharts closely enough, assuming someone on the slaveowner's side has submitted samples.

Offline BingoBuster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Are there any direct line male descendants available for yDNA tests? or even autosomal  DNA might match the Urquharts closely enough, assuming someone on the slaveowner's side has submitted samples.

Thank you for the book recommendation! I'll look into it.
I do not think there are any direct males that we know of sadly.

Offline BingoBuster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:33 GMT (UK) »
And actually, in hindsight. I think I have two different Urquharts mixed up. Samuel lived mostly in Dublin, Montgomery, Alabama, USA during most of his life, so the Haywood Urquhart likely isn't the one I'm looking for. I'm going to try and narrow down the Alabama side and see if anything pans out.

Offline BingoBuster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Okay, I did a little more sleuthing and found a US Federal slave census record that matches up pretty closely to the information I have on Samuel. He was a slave at the age of 7 when he was on the Urquhart plantation. According to the records, it looks like this was in Montgomery County, Alabama to a slave owner named Henry S. Urquhart on October 7th, 1850. Hoping this pans out a bit and if I can find any slave owner records that can expand on.