Author Topic: William George VANDY - 1876-1941 - Evangelistic Mission in North London  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William George VANDY - 1876-1941 - Evangelistic Mission in North London
« on: Monday 11 February 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone!

I have been trying to find out some info re my Great Grandfather William George Vandy. 

I know all the info that can be found on Ancestry and FindMyPast, but on enquiring where he worked, it appears that an article in the in-house magazine about his death noted that he ''conducted for over 40 years an Evangelistic Mission in North London.''  They have no further information on which Mission that was.

I have already spoken to what was Ferme Park Baptist Chapel (now Union Church) in Crouch End, where he married in 1905, and they have no record of his involvement with them.

His last address was in Sidney Avenue, Palmers Green (and previously lived at 2 other addresses within walking distance of Sidney Av) so I thought I would radiate my search out from there by looking at old maps between 1900 and 1940 to see which Chapels, Churches and Missions existed then, with a shot at emailing any remaining places - I have emailed St John The Evangelist, Palmers Green, and Palmers Green Baptist Church so far but to be honest it is really feeling like a needle in a haystack and rather overwhelming.

I haven't found an obituary and sadly all those family members who would have known all the answers are now long gone.

Has anyone got any top tips as to how I might refine my search?  Are there any central registers for this type of search?  Does anyone live in North London who might be involved with a church and have noticed his name in any old literature (now that's a long shot!).

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, Nina

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William George VANDY - 1876-1941 - Evangelistic Mission in North London
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:40 GMT (UK) »
In 1939 he was in Surrey and his occupation does not include anything evangelical.  Have you seen the 1939 register entry?

He died 6.6.1941 and left a will - probate to Lloyds Bank
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello CaroleW - yes, have seen this - he worked at Lloyds Bank, Lombard St.  It was their in-house magazine found in their archives which mentioned in his death notice that he had spent the last 40 years associated with religion when not in the office.  I am waiting for a copy of his Will to arrive - ordered last week!  Nina

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry this does not help much neither.

The Times (London, England)
June 9, 1941

VANDY-  On June 6th 1941, William George vandy, of 34 Sidney Avenue, Palmers Green. Funeral Wednesday June 11, Enfield Crematorium 10.30 am

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Giblet ... that’s very helpful indeed as I had no idea where he was buried or cremated ... thank you!  I was hoping his Will might make mention of his wishes on that front but often they don’t.  Thanks again, Nina

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:41 GMT (UK) »
  They have no further information on which Mission that was.

Just a thought but i wonder if you contact the crematorium if they have a record of who officiated his funeral, could lead to which Mission he was with?? 

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Good thinking Giblet - I shall email them tomorrow!

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Just received a copy of the Will - no mention of any Evangelistic Missions in there.  Still waiting to hear back from Enfield Crematorium ...

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I have now heard back from Enfield Crematorium - sadly they do not have a note of who officiated the funeral service ... so I am still no closer to finding out which Evangelistic Mission my Great Grandfather was associated with. 

Not really sure what to do now - I have fired off some emails to various churches etc I have found near to his last address, but they have not found any link with him ... still waiting to hear back from a couple of places, but I feel this is going to be a very tricky quest. 

Does anyone have any other ideas about how I might track down an Evangelistic Mission from 1901-1941??? 

Many thanks, Nina