Author Topic: Unknown ancestor with a wooden leg - date please  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unknown ancestor with a wooden leg - date please
« on: Monday 11 February 19 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hope this photo uploads ok. It's not in the best of health even before being scanned. We're looking for suggestions on a date as it may give a clue to who the people are. We used to think it was a wedding photo with a bouquet on the bride's lap, but it could be her bonnet. Probably taken in Plymouth, Devon although there's nothing on the reverse to help with this. Any ideas welcome.

Thanks, flemming.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown ancestor with a wooden leg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, flemming.
I can't help with a date but I've converted your pic to a jpeg, cropped off all the white and loaded it so that it can attract the attention of the expert dating people.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I think that could be 1860s.

Suggest you add 'Date please' to the original title of the thread, to bring in those who are more 'up with dating skills'    ;)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I also think it is 1860s . A classic front-on pose of the period.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown ancestor with a wooden leg - date please
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to McGroger for tidying up the photo, and also to Wiggy and Gadget for the dating (and I've amended the heading as suggested).

If it is 1860s, it helps greatly. We had wondered if it was a husband and wife who died in 1860 (age 50) and 1858 (age 40) respectively but it seems unlikely, especially given the last years of their life were spent in near poverty. In fact, most of their lives were poor so presume this means a posh dress and having the photo taken at all would put them out of the frame?

One of the family tales is that a multiple great aunt and uncle went to Australia, made good, and used to send home gold in small bags. Perhaps the photo came with one of these? The main gold rush era started in 1851 so it could fit.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I agree with 1860s date too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Carol. Do you think it could be a wedding photo? I've found a possible marriage in Plymouth in 1865, bride would have been 21, groom 28, although he looks older than this - but could it be just a sign of the times and a hard life? I suppose losing a leg wouldn't have helped his demeanour much, and perhaps I should be trying to find out whether my target, Robert Henry DRAKE, had lost one of his by the time the photo was taken.

Thanks again to all who have helped - much appreciated.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:38 GMT (UK) »
It could be but I would need to see it in Photoshop to be a bit more sure. I thinks she is holding a hat. Not sure if he has a beard or whether its damage.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Here's a copy with some of the colorcast removed. Not sure if this helps or not.
Blake, Willis, Parker and Whittington