Author Topic: Marriage document T. Willis State of Georgia, USA 1811  (Read 171 times)

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pacific Northwest, USA
    • View Profile
Marriage document T. Willis State of Georgia, USA 1811
« on: Monday 11 February 19 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage document of some type of my great, great, great grandfather in the state of Georgia, USA.  The document has a few words I can't decipher and the actual purpose of the document is unclear. It has marriage and money involved, some sort of dowry?? I've included the original and my translated version, to the best of my ability, with the confusing parts underlined in red.

Any help clarifying this document would be appreciated.
John
Blake, Willis, Parker and Whittington

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage document T. Willis State of Georgia, USA 1811
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I see:

- Court of Ordinary (?)

- well and truly to be made (m_ade split over 2 lines)

- Thomas Willis Junior (Junr)

- not sure what comes after County

- full force and virtue

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pacific Northwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I see:

- Court of Ordinary (?)

- well and truly to be made (m_ade split over 2 lines)
That looks about right Karen.  Or possibly "Ordering".

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Just looked up "Court of Ordinary":

https://thelawdictionary.org/court-of-ordinary/

What is COURT OF ORDINARY?
In some of the United States (c. g., Georgia) this name is given to the probate or surrogate’s court, or the court having the usual jurisdiction In respect to the proving of wills and the administration of decedents’ estates.

Sounds plausible!  :)

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pacific Northwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Just looked up "Court of Ordinary":

https://thelawdictionary.org/court-of-ordinary/

What is COURT OF ORDINARY?
In some of the United States (c. g., Georgia) this name is given to the probate or surrogate’s court, or the court having the usual jurisdiction In respect to the proving of wills and the administration of decedents’ estates.

Sounds plausible!  :)

Yes, it sure does.  Now I know where to look up old legal terms.  This seems to be a document relating to marriage, but maybe that court had the jurisdiction for marriages also.
Thanks for looking that up Karen!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Not sure that the name is Eaoret. Looks a bit like Eviret, Everet,Everit. Looks like a loan document and they are wanting to make sure it endures past the marriage.  Wills and like documents do not or can be challenged unless they are made 'in contemplation of marriage'. This is so that spousal rights are upheld.   Perhaps they are making sure that the loan/gift will also endure.
Other words are Junior Junr and 'virtue'.

It is signed by Matthew Avirt and Thomas Willis (his mark).

Bit confusing as the Thomas Willis who entered into the agreement may not be the Thomas Willis getting married to Anna Flemming.

Thomas Willis may have been a minor? perhaps accessing his father's estate and Matthew Avert ?may have been the executor?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
It reads in a very similar way to an English marriage licence bond, and I suspect that is what it is.

Basically the groom and a bondsman swear to the appropriate court (or in England, church official) that there is no reason why a licence should not be issued in order to authorise the marriage. To deter false statements etc they are bound in a sum of money, ie if what they have said is found to be false, they have to pay it. If all is as they say, the (usually) large sum mentioned is not payable.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pacific Northwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Not sure that the name is Eaoret. Looks a bit like Eviret, Everet,Everit. Looks like a loan document and they are wanting to make sure it endures past the marriage.  Wills and like documents do not or can be challenged unless they are made 'in contemplation of marriage'. This is so that spousal rights are upheld.   Perhaps they are making sure that the loan/gift will also endure.
Other words are Junior Junr and 'virtue'.

It is signed by Matthew Avirt and Thomas Willis (his mark).

Bit confusing as the Thomas Willis who entered into the agreement may not be the Thomas Willis getting married to Anna Flemming.

Thomas Willis may have been a minor? perhaps accessing his father's estate and Matthew Avert ?may have been the executor?

Thanks Shanreagh.  The info is appreciated and your comment on the possibility of a young Thomas Willis peaked my interest, but I couldn't find a direct son, but he did have a grandson named Thomas Willis.  I will pursue that lead.  I've incorporated your word corrections in my translated/deciphered copy. Thanks!

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pacific Northwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 18:18 GMT (UK) »
It reads in a very similar way to an English marriage licence bond, and I suspect that is what it is.

Basically the groom and a bondsman swear to the appropriate court (or in England, church official) that there is no reason why a licence should not be issued in order to authorise the marriage. To deter false statements etc they are bound in a sum of money, ie if what they have said is found to be false, they have to pay it. If all is as they say, the (usually) large sum mentioned is not payable.

Thanks very much.  The resemblance to an English marriage bond could be just what this is.  The state of Georgia was admitted to the union in 1788, the year of his birth so I assume many of the legal documents were based closely to the English law heritage they were familiar with.  I will research the English documents to see if I can find a close association to my document.  Thank you very much!
John