Author Topic: John Scott  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: John Scott
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 23:59 GMT (UK) »
I hope I'm not leading you off in the wrong direction with the 'uncommon' name of John Reid Scott?

Freecen have 2 people in 1841 Cargill named John Scott, both aged 50 (bc 1791) but neither fit the profile of the DC Occ. nor PoB.

Piece SCT1841/338 Cargill, Perth ED 6
Folio 7 Pg 2
Address, Wolfhill Village (Agricultural Labourer) born Perth

Piece SCT1841/338 Cargill, Perth ED 2
Folio 2 Pg 7
Address, Old Mains (Hedger) born Perth

Of course, J R may have died prior to 1841 anywhere?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 February 19 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I hope I'm not leading you off in the wrong direction with the 'uncommon' name of John Reid Scott?
I'll echo that!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 February 19 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie and Forfarian.

The John Reid Scott baptised in Glasgow.
- Has the right timeframe. Born about 1779 and has first child in 1801.
- Has a mothers name that is reflected in his children
- Has the right name.
- Has the wrong location - Glasgow. He settles in his early 20s in Cargill (Strelitz).

If I am successful in getting any Kirk records associated with his illegitimate birth or anything to do with his training as a mason it might provide some additional info.

I have searched census records hoping that John and or Isabella survived past 1841 but no luck. The settlement of Strelitz was largely disbanded by 1816 and converted to farmland, so John almost certainly moved on from there. As far as I can see the parish records from Cargill are reasonably complete for births but there is a gap for marriages between 1767 and 1824 and the burial records seem non-existant after 1767. Could there be any other sources of marriage (John + Isabella) or death records?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 February 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
There are very few deaths recorded pre statutory 1855 anywhere in Scotland.

I think this is a 'needle in a haystack' scenario as there doesn't seem any way of pinning John Reid Scot(t) down to anywhere apart from where he was baptised & his mothers name.

Margaret is far too popular a name for assumption in Johns' line.
J R could have been absolutely anywhere in 1841 even if alive.
J R seems to be approx. 10 yrs Isabellas' junior, if same person (iffy).
People did move around but you do need something to go on.

I have a chap b 1827 (a Blacksmith) who moved from South Uist, Inverness, Scotland (a very remote island) to Renfrew, Scotland (almost 200 miles, most by sea), by 1871, married in Glasgow, Scotland then emigrated to Canada where he died.

I have all the paperwork i.e. no doubt at all he was my chap but...he'd acquired a middle name along the way which wasn't on his baptism or any census' although it was used on his 1st marriage & never cropped up again on emigration or death.

Yours will be harder to track because of the era, no statutory records in Scotland then.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"