Author Topic: Missing mothers!  (Read 701 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing mothers!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 February 19 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Even though we cannot change the past, it is frustrating when the mother is not named on the baptism. In 1759 my ancestor Patience Brown was baptised, daughter of John Brown. No mother named.

I was chatting to a lady, aged about 80 in the record office a while back and she said "Women were seen as second class citizens back then, so many baptism records did not name them". Not sure I agree with that, but she did share my frustration about no mothers being named.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 February 19 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Second class citizens in all respect EXCEPT actually giving birth to the child   >:( ::)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Belgium/East London.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 February 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Second class citizens in all respect EXCEPT actually giving birth to the child   >:( ::)

Even then Igor.  My 3 x grt gran and her second husband were imprisoned for stealing food.  The judge ruled it was her fault as she had "kept having babies".  This was given as the reason for her having a harsher sentence.  He was released early for "good behaviour" on the condition he did not contact either her or his children as they'd be a corrupting influence.  She had to serve her full sentence as she had displayed bad behaviour after she gave birth 3mon into her sentence.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 February 19 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Kooky, I think most of us "got" what you were saying in your original post.  And you are fully in your rights to express your frustration.
That's a shocking story, Pharma T.
Women were indeed treated as second class. Up until the early 19th century, wives could be sold or bartered, and a woman's property became her husband's on marriage. That's why you often see stipulations in wills about husbands not having access to money or property.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Kooky, I think most of us "got" what you were saying in your original post.  And you are fully in your rights to express your frustration.
That's a shocking story, Pharma T.
Women were indeed treated as second class. Up until the early 19th century, wives could be sold or bartered, and a woman's property became her husband's on marriage. That's why you often see stipulations in wills about husbands not having access to money or property.

And it was only 1989 that a woman  was able to say no to her husband. In a legal sense that is. I find that shockingly recent.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others