Author Topic: Critchley Almond  (Read 6133 times)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Critchley Almond
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 February 19 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Critchley Almond as far as I am aware, based on all the searching that I have done is the only person to have had this name , therefore one would think that it would be easy to find someone who would know
something from the past about him other than the information that can be accessed on the ancestry sites that are available on-line.
He is my great grandfather and my immediate close family know nothing about him, is this name known to anyone that uses this forum, if anyone has any family history or knows anything about Critchley Almond who was born in Blackburn in 1853 please get in touch.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 February 19 23:25 GMT (UK) »
This is a duplicate post.  You were given info that somebody else has a tree on Ancestry so has an interest in him.  He never married so no other descendants apart from your grandfather who was his illegitimate child

Threads merged.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 February 19 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes I know that and with respect I don't want to waste anyone's time looking for him in the records, I am trying to find out if there is anyone outside of my family that has any knowledge about him that is known to their family.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 February 19 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the Surname Interests board - scroll to bottom of page and link is found under Tools. 

Have you turned up the tree on Ancestry I mentioned in your other post and contacted the owner to check their connection?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 February 19 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the Surname Interests board - scroll to bottom of page and link is found under Tools. 

Have you turned up the tree on Ancestry I mentioned in your other post and contacted the owner to check their connection?

I haven't checked the surname interests board yet but I will give it a try.

The tree on Ancestry has been built by my cousins who rightly so are researching our family history, however  in my opinion some the information posted isn't correct so I'm not taking any notice of it.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 February 19 21:18 GMT (UK) »
A Critchley Almond is mentioned in the Preston Herald, 25 Jun 1868, under the headline "Caution to Sunday Tossers".

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 February 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
A Critchley Almond is mentioned in the Preston Herald, 25 Jun 1868, under the headline "Caution to Sunday Tossers".

Yes I have a copy of that story, it was also reported in the Blackburn Times newspaper around the same time when he was about 16.
Thanks for your help.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 April 19 16:56 BST (UK) »
.... What on earth is, or was, a "Sunday Tosser"? The mind boggles!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 April 19 17:42 BST (UK) »
.... What on earth is, or was, a "Sunday Tosser"? The mind boggles!
;D
I think it was illegal gambling on Sunday. "Pitch & Toss"? A lad with my GGF's name (or possibly his cousin) was fined for playing a game of chance in the street. It may have been reported in same newspaper.
Cowban