Author Topic: Critchley Almond  (Read 6126 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Critchley Almond
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 February 19 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Re: 1884 death

If you check the 1881 census there is no other Ann or Annie Moran in Blackburn who was single with a mid- 1850's birthyear

Given the marriage took place between April - June 1881 I think it is more likely than unlikely the 1881 marriage is her as is the 1884 death

also on the Ann Moran & John Lee marriage the certificate is dated June 1881 this Ann Moran is recorded as being 25

Have you bought a copy of that cert as it is not online and LancsBMD shows it as Blackburn Register Office or Registrar Attended

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 February 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I meant Critchley was living alone in Oswaldtwistle on the 1901 & 1911 censuses.

I have a copy of the Ann Moran/John Lee marriage certificate dated 18th June 1881, her age was 25 & a spinster, John Lee was 38 & a widower, Ann's address was 32 Leyland St. Blackburn & John Lee lived next door at 30.
The reason for dismissing this as being my Ann Moran is because on the April 1881 census living on Friday St. her age was 26 but the Ann Moran who married John Lee two months later was 25, the marriage was at St. Ann's church in Blackburn.
My thought on this was that her age would be correct on the marriage certificate so maybe she has given the wrong age for some reason on the 1881 census.

With regard to Louisa Stansfield living in Padiham on the 1911 census coincidentally her address was just across the road from the address that Critchley had put in his will, which makes me think that he was still keeping close to her up to him passing in 1916.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 February 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »

I have a copy of the Ann Moran/John Lee marriage certificate dated 18th June 1881, her age was 25 & a spinster, John Lee was 38 & a widower, Ann's address was 32 Leyland St. Blackburn & John Lee lived next door at 30.
The reason for dismissing this as being my Ann Moran is because on the April 1881 census living on Friday St. her age was 26 but the Ann Moran who married John Lee two months later was 25, the marriage was at St. Ann's church in Blackburn.
My thought on this was that her age would be correct on the marriage certificate so maybe she has given the wrong age for some reason on the 1881 census.

Is the age discrepancy your only reason for doubting them having been the same woman? The discrepancy is very slight. She may not have been sure herself. Ages of some of my Irish ancestors who were born around same time as her vary by a decade and more. If someone were to ask my age I may have to consider and do a sum before replying. I have the advantages of a birth certificate and an education; she didn't have the former and may not have had the latter.
How old was the husband? A bride might subtract a bit from her age.
Cowban

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 February 19 16:38 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned on my previous post the husband John Lee was a 38 year old widower.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 February 19 16:43 GMT (UK) »
So you did. My question about John Lee's age was an afterthought.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 February 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Is this baptism your Ann's son?
20th October 1878, St. Mary R.C., Blackburn
James Moran, son of Ann Moran
Born 4th October 1878
Godparent Kate Carroll

Any idea who Kate Carroll was?
Who were witnesses at marriage to John Lee?
Cowban

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 February 19 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is my grandfather.

The witnesses at the Ann Moran/John Lee marriage are K Sharples & Bridget O' Malley.

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 February 19 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention Kate Carroll, I have found a Kate Carroll, I think it was on the 1881census living on Cambridge St. which was near to Friday St. in Blackburn where my Ann Moran was living as a lodger with my grandfather age 3 on the 1881 census.
They were both cotton mill workers so I concluded that Kate Carroll was a work colleague,

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 February 19 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Re: 1884 death

If you check the 1881 census there is no other Ann or Annie Moran in Blackburn who was single with a mid- 1850's birthyear

Given the marriage took place between April - June 1881 I think it is more likely than unlikely the 1881 marriage is her as is the 1884 death

also on the Ann Moran & John Lee marriage the certificate is dated June 1881 this Ann Moran is recorded as being 25

Have you bought a copy of that cert as it is not online and LancsBMD shows it as Blackburn Register Office or Registrar Attended

Yes I have  an actual copy of the wedding certificate.