Author Topic: 8 Warneford Terrace, Stanley Street, Hull c1915  (Read 837 times)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
8 Warneford Terrace, Stanley Street, Hull c1915
« on: Tuesday 12 February 19 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Evening everyone,  Could I ask please - Has anyone got any pictures at all of 8 Warneford Terrace, off Stanley Street, Hull in the early 1900's. My Dad was born in Hull, but orphaned and this address is given - however, I have tried everything and even driven around Hull, trying to find exactly where it was and as yet, I have had no luck. A picture would be wonderful. When I enquired at Hull History Centre, I was told that Hull C.C. took a picture of all the streets that were demolished - however, they did not bother with "Terraces". So, even though there are images of lots of the old streets, there do not seem to be any at all Warneford Terrace. 
linney 2019

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Warneford Terrace, Stanley Street, Hull c1915
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linney...I think you may struggle with this one but it's worth a try...You might want to consider contacting Angus Young at the Hull Daily Mail. He has a huge collection of Old Hull photos and has done several exhibitions showcasing them. He was very helpful two years ago when I was helping to source photos for exhibitions and a book to mark the 75th anniversary of the death of Amy Johnson.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/lep-shake-up-makes-waves-2168349

Worth a try.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Yes, I realise that this is a very tall order - just living in hope. You are full of good ideas though and contacting Angus Young could yield something. It is all such a mystery that anything would be good. Of course, I realise that Dad sadly left his old life in Hull behind when he came to Harrogate but I don't even know when he came to Harrogate. He returned as a Fegan's boy from Canada in 1934 so I also have some missing years between 1934 and 1939. He joined up in the R.A.F. in 1939 here in Harrogate, but worked here beforehand so may have come here in 1938 or even 1937 which would leave maybe three years where he must have been in Hull, but where and doing what?
I will definitely try that link Carol and again, you are a star.  linney2019

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 14:10 GMT (UK) »
I have tried everything and even driven around Hull, trying to find exactly where it was and as yet, I have had no luck.

A map, showing its former location, was linked at reply #9 on one of your other threads about this family:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807951.9
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)