Author Topic: Causes of Death for Gordon Watts and his wife Mary, One Day apart?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Causes of Death for Gordon Watts and his wife Mary, One Day apart?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried to find out if t here were any epidemics in the area that year? [Google, newspapers etc?]
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Checked epidemics for Canada - Typhus was 1847 - 1848 - nothing listed on this list prior to that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics

Sandra

Added - In 1831 (9 years earalier) more than 50,000 people immigrated to Quebec. The next year brought 52,000 individuals and with them the Asiatic cholera, and within five months 4,200 deaths resulted.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 February 19 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra and Jossey

I can't find any anything further about epidemics for around this period other than what Sandra has already mentioned. I did check Quebec Coroners Reports for 1840, and although Gordon and Mary were not mentioned, looking at other deaths around that time, there was nothing to indicate anything about an epidemic sickness being a cause of death, just the general accidents, drownings, falls, heart etc,

I'm wondering if the Quebec link you supplied is for Quebec Province or City, as they died in Montreal? The Province would cover Montreal.

Thanks Sandra for those records you posted, but as you indicated, I was aware of those - nice thought anyway. The Robert Nugent WATTS you mentioned was Gordon's brother, both being born on Jersey with the rest of their siblings - "Nugent" being their mother's maiden name.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!