Author Topic: How many Presidents had royal blood?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How many Presidents had royal blood?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I have a vague memory of an enquiry on RootsChat some months ago about descent of a French person from Mary, Queen of Scots. I looked at a family tree of Mary, QoS and found Richard Nixon on a limb.
Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
The thought that the current president might be related to our Royal family is quite disturbing ;D ;D ;D
Prince Philip's love-child?  ;D
I don't even like the thought of POTUS being in the same room as our duchesses.

There is a similarity as regards gaffes and faux pas. ;D ;D ;D
RICHARD NIXON!!!!
MQ of Scots had James from her marriage to Darnley and miscarried (?)twins to Bothwell but no other direct heirs I don’t think, for anyone to be descended from.
I don’t know anything about James having any illegitimate children.
Not impossible of course.
It would be interesting to know.
Nixon could be compared with Bothwell,a social climber with ambitions!
Hey Ho  I  know without doubt that I am irrefutibly(think that is the spelling)
descended from my parents,whoever they were !
Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Trump father was German wasn't he? Prince Phil's sisters married German dukes. British royal family descends several times from German aristocracy/royalty. A high proportion of immigrants to U.S. were from Germany.
Edited.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 18:44 GMT (UK) »
How many Presidents of the United States of Mattlandmerica has Royal Blood in them, and who had the most????

Also which Presidents were related to other Presidents of the United States or British Pm's whatever..

Answers to the first question are likely to be complex. Royal families have so much inter-marriage.
The second question concerns however many individuals (100+?) holding those offices during the past 3 centuries. 
Simple answers: 2 presidents were cousins and 2 (or 4?) were father and son. I can state with confidence that no presidents were husband and wife, father & daughter, mother & son, aunt & nephew, uncle & niece, grandmother & grandson or grandfather & granddaughter.  ;D

Edited.
Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 18:51 GMT (UK) »
The king of Greece when the monarchy was reinstated was Christian of Denmark.Regnal name George,
So Philip’s father Prince Andrew was not German and his mother Princess Alice was a Battenberg.Not sure what connection to Q.Victoria .There will be Germanic connections no doubt.
Andrew was a serial womaniser and Alice had a serious nervous breakdown.
So Philip did not see much of her as she was institutionalised.
But Philip’s sisters did all four marry Germans three of whom had Nazi connections.
Goering attended one wedding I seem  to remember from a T.V programme.
I always suspected Mountbatten ,soooooo ambitious,wanted the Royal Family name changed to Mountbatten.
I must find out whose child a Princess Alice was.
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 19:06 GMT (UK) »
P.S. Alice was sister to,Lord Mountbatten,Great grand daughter of Queen Viktoria
 and niece of the last Tsarina of Russia.

Her mother was Victoria Alberta (QV’s Grand daughter ) and Louis Battenberg.Marquis of Milford Haven.
You all wanted to know that didn’t you? ::)
Viktoria( no connection).

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
President Benjamin Harrison was the grandson of President William Henry Harrison.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=Viktoria link=topic=808260.msg6675872#msg6675872 date=1550061820
MQ of Scots had James from her marriage to Darnley and miscarried (?)twins to Bothwell but no other direct heirs I don’t think, for anyone to be descended from.
I don’t know anything about James having any illegitimate children.
Not impossible of course.

Mary had no issue from her brief marriage to the French king. King James was the only offspring of her marriage to Darnley.
King James had 3 legitimate children, Henry, Elizabeth and Charles who survived past childhood. Prince Henry died in his youth (late teens?).
Elizabeth became Elizabeth of Bohemia. Her daughter, Sophia eventually became heir to Queen Anne (aka Olivia Colman  ;D). There was a big family; Prince Rupert of the Rhine and his brother (Maurice?) among them. Sophia's son succeeded Queen Anne to become King George because he was the nearest heir who wasn't Catholic.
 Charles had 6 children:
 Eldest 2 sons, King Charles 2 and King James 2 (& 7) had many illegitimate children from whom several dukes descend. The late Diana, Princess of Wales, Sarah, Duchess of York and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall are modern descendants. (Not 100% certain about Camilla; her great-granny was a mistress of King Edward 7th.) KC2 had no legitimate children. KJ2 had 2 legitimate daughters who became Queens Mary and Anne. Neither daughters had children who survived them. KJ2 had a legitimate son by his 2nd marriage (King James 3 & 8 or James Stuart, the Old Pretender, depending on whether you have Jacobite sympathies). KJ3/8/Old Pretender had 2 legitimate sons, Charles Edward Stuart aka the Young Pretender (aka King Charles 3 to Jacobites) and Henry (King Henry 9 if you're Jacobite) who had a church career. Charles had offspring; don't know about Henry.
 Eldest daughter of King Charles First was mother of William of Orange, who married his cousin, Mary, elder daughter of King James 2. William & Mary died without issue.
2nd daughter of Charles 1st died young.
Henry, 3rd son of Charles 1st died when a young man, unmarried in 1660, just after the Restoration of the monarchy. He'd spent the later years of his exile soldiering in Europe. No mention of any children as far as I know.
Henriette (Minette), youngest child of K. Charles 1, was brought up in exile with her mother at the French court and married the brother of the French king (her cousin). She was in the first series of tv series "Versailles" before dying young. She had children, at least one of whom married and had descendants. (An episode of a  later series of "Versailles" features Minette's teenage daughter being coerced by her father into a diplomatic marriage.) So that French princess was a great-great-granddaughter of Mary, Queen of Scots. Minette's grandchildren would have been the closest heirs by blood to Queen Anne but were disbarred because they were Catholics. After the French princess it gets complicated.  ;D I think Richard Nixon was allegedly connected to a branch of a family of her descendants.
That's just the Stuart royal family who became monarchs of England. Before them came the House of Tudor. 300 years of Plantagenets before them. King Edward the Third has a lot of descendants as we well know. Some star in "Who do You Think You Are?"  ;D
The various Saxon and Danish royal dynasties who ruled parts or the whole of England may have descendants among us, as may the Scottish and Welsh royal families. Alfred the Great used to do penance when he felt guilty about succumbing to his weakness for women. I'd be very happy to find I was descended from Alfred.  :)
Cowban