Author Topic: Revd Robert Middleton  (Read 1722 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Revd Robert Middleton
« on: Wednesday 13 February 19 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am researching a Suffolk family of Jollys. On June 14th 1865, according to info I have in a pack of deeds, Harriet Jane Jolly married Revd Robert Middleton, at the Wellington Street Chapel, Douglas IOM. Service conducted by Rev Peel. I have a further sighting of him in Wickhambrook, Suffolk in 1890 when he was a Primitive Methodist Minister in that village. I am wondering if anyone can give me any info about this man and whether he was a preacher on the island? Thanks
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Revd Robert Middleton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 February 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
The name of the officiating minister is Peet - I have a record of Robert Middleton being a minister in the Douglas circuit in 1865 - one of the ministers in prev year was noted as only on circuit for 1 month thus I suspect he came in 1864 but he is not in the 1866 list
(see my web site www.manxnotebook.com + follow links from Methodism that will give you details of chapels etc. - the actual chapel is now under a large Marks + Spencer store + carpark but photos exist (couple on my site others will be on imuseum
Also suggest you look up newspapers on www.imuseum.im - though a subscription will be required to read any article
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 19 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the website dedicated to Primitive Methodists - http://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/

There's a page giving a lot of information about Robert Middleton:

https://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/content/people-2/primitive_methodist_ministers/m-2/robert_middleton
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Frances especially for the correction of the name, which I got from a Newspaper and for the link to your website.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Arthur for those wonderfully useful links. I had not encountered them before, so I will recommend the link about myprimitivemethodists to other Suffolk Village Recorders.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Frances, I have been looking through your excellent website and the fantastic research. Would it be possible to send me a copy of the Wellington Street Chapel photo as a jpeg  attachment for use on a family tree? I could send my mail address in a P M. Quite understand if this is not an option.

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Re photo - that used is from a near contemporary guide book (late 1840s) and in the guide book is little bigger than that on my site - you are welcome to copy the online image (+ give a ref to my site if it goes online) - otherwise email me via the contact page on my site - I possess the guide book (+ prob 50+ more!) + could scan in a slightly larger image but you may find a later image on imuseum.im as it was in central Douglas and the area saw considerable change as tourism built up in the late 19th C - the engraving is idealised as the street was a narrow one with the chapel set back a little on one side and a pub + shops on the other - I can just about recall seeing it buried in the brewery complex (then used for storage) as I used the nearby opposite "Dog's Home" pub for lunch before that too went under the bulldozer
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 February 19 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Frances. I have used your online image and given credit to you and your website.