Author Topic: Scanning discussion  (Read 529 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Scanning discussion
« on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Guy....With all due respect, there have been many photos restored on here with a 72dpi resolution and whilst it isn't the best for restoration purposes, you will see that the images don't pixelate when posted unless they have been over enlarged.
 It must be remembered that not all posters have the original and in that event, we work with what we are given. Those that do have the originals often want them cleaned to print and frame, then put the originals away to preserve them. As for your suggestion that a resolution of 300dpi is recommended, that is dependant on the size of the original photo so please don't give misleading advice as it is unhelpful.

The guidelines are as follows for the benefit of posters reading this:

Postcard size or larger = 300dpi
Small photos and Cartes De Viste = 600dpi
Locket & Passport photos = 1200dpi

Carol

If you bothered to read what I wrote you will see I was referring not to scanning photos for posterity not scanning for restoration.

My opening remarks stated
While I agree with the previous comments it is also worth noting that if a picture is being scanned for posterity use the highest possible optical resolution your scanner is capable of.

The rest of my post with the exception of the last half of my last sentence concerned scanning for posterity, i.e. scanning to produce an archive for use in the future should the original photo be lost or otherwise not be available.
I should have realised I should have spelt that out in words of one syllable to enable a few readers of my post the opportunity to understand that I was not writing about scanning for restoration on this forum.
I apologise for not making that crystal clear to those readers who could not understand that.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Demo thread . . . . . SCANNING . . . . for new photo posters.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Guy

If you read the first post on this thread, you will see that Wiggy was giving advice on how to scan for restoration.. You are just confusing a  thread that was aimed to help those requesting restorations.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Demo thread . . . . . SCANNING . . . . for new photo posters.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Although you need a steady hand it would be useful to see how the quality looks when photographed with an average mobile phone, as the quality on these is improving every year. It's also a lot quicker. I'd do it myself but I aim to be the last person on the planet without a mobile phone camera.

Martin

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Demo thread . . . . . SCANNING . . . . for new photo posters.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I have split off this part of the topic because it had gone off topic.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Demo thread . . . . . SCANNING . . . . for new photo posters.
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:45 GMT (UK) »
If you bothered to read what I wrote you will see "I was referring not to scanning photos for posterity not scanning for restoration.

Not sure what this means ????

The rest of my post with the exception of the last half of my last sentence concerned scanning for posterity, i.e. scanning to produce an archive for use in the future should the original photo be lost or otherwise not be available.
I should have realised I should have spelt that out in words of one syllable to enable a few readers of my post the opportunity to understand that I was not writing about scanning for restoration on this forum.
I apologise for not making that crystal clear to those readers who could not understand that.

Cheers
Guy
[/quote]

Was this really necessary Guy  :-\

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU