Author Topic: Finding Dad's Family in Hull - Sissons:  (Read 623 times)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Dad's Family in Hull - Sissons:
« on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am trying hard (have been for years now) to discover what happened to Dad's family in Hull and why he was put in Linneaus Street Children's Home along with his brother when his Mum died at 32 in 1923. I live in Harrogate, but with my eldest daughter, I have now driven to Hull many times and tried to visualise what their life was like and from what we've learned so far, pretty tough. I am listing here some names of Dad's family that I've found and some of the places in Hull the records show they lived. If anyone, has knowledge of what these places were like or better still, knows of the Sissons family, we'd be very grateful to hear from you. Dad, was killed just after my fourteenth birthday and he never spoke about his family or childhood, so we are, bit by bit, trying to piece it together.
Sissons family: Samuel  1869-1937,Mary Jane Olsen (formerly Thackray) Lived with Samuel however, both legally married to different people throughout, Samuel to Rose Lee 1874-unconfirmed, Mary Jane to Charles Wm.Olsen 1887-1931, Florence Elizabeth Sissons(Married Luben Broughton) 1895-1959, Maud 1896-1906, Rose Ellen 1899-unconfirmed, Samuel Jnr. 1903-unconfirmed. Edna May 1906-unconfirmed. John Joseph (My Dad) 1915-1967, James William 1917-1981
Addresses: 10 High St. Gainsborough, 8 Warneford Terrace, Hull, Stanley St., 18 Newland Ave, Hull.
Many thanks for reading, linney 2019

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Dad's Family in Hull - Sissons:
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Related thread, linked to another related thread:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=808267.msg6675914

linney2019: again, there is huge scope for duplication of effort here.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:11 GMT (UK) »
H Linney...Don't worry, you will soon get the hang of it. It can be very daunting when you are new to the site. I don't know whether you have seen this before:

Linnaeus Street Children's Home

This was the Children's' Home for the Hull Poor Law Union from about 1910. In 1935 it became known as the Hull Corporation's Scattered Homes. Six houses provided accommodation for up to 10 children each. The Hull Welfare Services Committee oversaw the running of this home after the Second World War. Records covering the early years of this home do not seem to have survived, whilst later ones may be available through the Hull City Council Adoption Service, Third Floor, Kingston House, Hull, HU1 3ER or Tel. 01482 300300.

From here..the 7th item down:

http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/research/research-guides/childrens-homes.aspx
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:16 GMT (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi     

Is this the same John Joseph Sissons who married Margaret Farrow in Dec 1939 ?     

His birth also registered as John J OLSEN ?     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ray,
Thank you for your kind reply and yes, it is the same John Joseph. Mum and Dad met in Harrogate where they were both working, married 1939 in Harrogate and stayed in Harrogate. We came across this and struggled with it - It seems to be that when a single mother registers her child in the father's name, the child is automatically registered in the mother's maiden name also.
Thanks again, linney2019