Author Topic: Odds of Finding Pictures of Ancestors?  (Read 731 times)

Offline Sockelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Odds of Finding Pictures of Ancestors?
« on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys!

I was curious and had more of a general question. I was curious to know if there were any chances, aside from physical copies, of finding any pictures of an ancestor from the 20th century if there's enough articles and information about them and if the odds of finding a potential picture of them increases? 

Reason I'm asking is I was trying to find out more about my inventor great great grandfather and found some patents and a few newspaper articles on him. I wasn't sure if there was any correlation between the two. I know we don't have any pictures of him per say, but wasn't sure if there was a tool or website that can cross reference pictures (with names underneath, like in newspaper articles).

I know the odds are all but zill but figured I'd ask anyways since people on here pull out some amazing links and sources to follow on and maybe their in depth research experience maybe would yield some results.

Thank you!

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Odds of Finding Pictures of Ancestors?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I've actually found quite a few pictures online.  As a starter, if you know where the ancestor went to high school or college, look for yearbook pictures.  Do a Google book search, too.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:39 GMT (UK) »
As facial recognition software becomes more sophisticated the odds against finding further pictures if you already have one. However, having said that I sent a WW1 picture of my father to his old unit. They scanned and compared it to their records, but had nothing on file. There were 10000 men in the unit, so it seems the odds against are over 1:10000!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Sockelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
As facial recognition software becomes more sophisticated the odds against finding further pictures if you already have one. However, having said that I sent a WW1 picture of my father to his old unit. They scanned and compared it to their records, but had nothing on file. There were 10000 men in the unit, so it seems the odds against are over 1:10000!

Wasn't expecting facial recognition to be that close, but maybe in our lifetime!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:47 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to Ancestry, you could try this, type in a surname only and area of interest, go to "Pictures" in the left hand menu and see what comes up.
I found a couple that way and the tree owner of them was more than happy to email me scans.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Try the wonderfully-named http://deadfred.com

I've also previously mentioned elsewhere, the now obsolete Google product Picasa is excellent for sorting out vast quantities of family photographs. It groups them into sections, and then asks for names, and the more you teach it the better it is at recognising people whether in their teens or old age.

Martin

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Ancient faces can be good to!  I've found a couple of mine in there,
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 February 19 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

the website 'Graces Guide' might be of interest if you were looking in the UK.
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Main_Page
I collect photos and found I had a photo of a person mentioned in their pages, so sent them a scan to add to the article.
So perhaps there would be something similar where you live or maybe a local library/archive/museum may have a photo.

good luck in your search,
Lisa

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 February 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Try doing a google images search, using a family members name.

i.e  I just did a google images search with the words "Whitefield Watson" -

After scrolling down through the images that came up, there was my Greatgrandfather Whitefield Watson, in a photo with his family!  Strangely enough, the photo was found by Google here on Rootschat, one that I had submitted for a restoration!  😜

So I often use Google images, and have found all sorts of photos that I (or others) had posted online, even came up with some marriage certificates from my tree.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections