Author Topic: Andrew Dolan and Catherine Obrien Roscommon  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: DOWDS in Fairymount, Roscommon
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 January 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
There's another Fairymount in Co. Roscommon - I think it's village. It's located in the townland of Mullaghnashee and about 9km north of the town of Castlerea.

The church is shown on the old OSI map - see : Mullaghnashee townland / Fairymount Church

The church was rebuilt in 1876, just up the road from the location of the older building - see :  Church of the Sacred Heart, Fairymount  (Buildings of Ireland)

This area is in the the Civil and RC parish of Tibohine. Baptism and marriage records are available back to about 1833, with some gaps. See RC Parish of Tibohine

Shane

I know you ruled out Fairymount already but did you try this Fairymount, I haven't searched much but there are a few O'Brien's in the parish register.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0558

Offline Michael wray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 January 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
You must be referring to the Fairymount where the big church is this is where we first enquired at the shop on our first trip. The shopkeeper( can't remember his name) told us of tw brothers who lived just down the road who were Obriens but not to bother as they liked a drink and could be a bit difficult so we didn't bother to ask them. But we did ask at another house close by and they directed us to a family in Castlerea who have become good friends and helped us to get the information from Strokestown that proved to be wrong. Also as there was so few houses in the village (I am calling  it a village though I know there are no villages in Ireland) that we didn't bother to follow up on this but maybe I should have tried the school for there records, do you know how I should go about doing this? Having said this I strongly feel that Clooneenbaun is my best bet as there was a mill there owned by aDenis Obrien and there was no knowledge of a mill in "Fairymount" .Are you aware of any local genealogist in the area of Clooeenbaun that I could approach? The pub called McDermotts was suggested but I didn't get a reply to my email. Thanking you again Michael

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 January 19 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about school records or anyone local but those parish records start 1833, I start with them.
I'd also look for a Denis Sullivan miller born Roscommon in England.

Offline Michael wray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 January 19 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Right it looks like parish cords then, I will let you know if I find anything.

Offline Larissa83green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 February 19 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Michael Have you considered doing a dna ancestry kit?

Im researching a family in Fairymount and its not easy at all, so far ive come across six different spellings of their surname.

I wish you all the very best in your search.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 February 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
It may be helpful to split this thread. Reply #10 onwards are not about the Dowd family. Michael, click "Report to moderator" symbol on your first post and ask for a new thread to be created for your family with their name included in the title.
Cowban

Offline Larissa83green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 21:59 GMT (UK) »
You must be referring to the Fairymount where the big church is this is where we first enquired at the shop on our first trip. The shopkeeper( can't remember his name) told us of tw brothers who lived just down the road who were Obriens but not to bother as they liked a drink and could be a bit difficult so we didn't bother to ask them. But we did ask at another house close by and they directed us to a family in Castlerea who have become good friends and helped us to get the information from Strokestown that proved to be wrong. Also as there was so few houses in the village (I am calling  it a village though I know there are no villages in Ireland) that we didn't bother to follow up on this but maybe I should have tried the school for there records, do you know how I should go about doing this? Having said this I strongly feel that Clooneenbaun is my best bet as there was a mill there owned by aDenis Obrien and there was no knowledge of a mill in "Fairymount" .Are you aware of any local genealogist in the area of Clooeenbaun that I could approach? The pub called McDermotts was suggested but I didn't get a reply to my email. Thanking you again Michael

I found this article, article about local mills, mentions obriens too.

http://www.cloonfad.org/pdfs/1993.pdf