Author Topic: Ayrshire deaths pre 1800  (Read 5916 times)

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ayrshire deaths pre 1800
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 February 19 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes I think something happens because having one child 4 years later but no other child known ? I have the parish record copy and there is no witness there it’s very simple page let’s say only mentions the farther Alexander and were he is from which is Bank ? Could Alexander not be from the area in have not managed to track down an area called Bank so far, or do we think it is a river bank ? The other people on the register are listed as galoustoun or Loudoun or even allanstoun which is very strange.....would it be normal for the bride to get married in her home town ?

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 February 19 23:11 GMT (UK) »
As replying to the deaths he could of died 1731 it’s a possibility. Is there anything for Janet ?

Which Hugh do you think that is Falkirk?

I know nothing of Scotland so do they have certain family traditions
, did the travel across the country ? Did they move away from family

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 February 19 23:41 GMT (UK) »
As replying to the deaths he could of died 1731 it’s a possibility. Is there anything for Janet ?
There are 10 Janet Campbells listed in the index (mostly children) with none listed with a married name of Allan. There are also 76 Janet Allans listed but again none of them are listed with a birth name of Campbell.

Which Hugh do you think that is Falkirk?

As no age is given and there is no reference to a parent this would imply that they are referring to an adult but it could be any of those you know or completely unconnected. (the name is quite common)

I know nothing of Scotland so do they have certain family traditions
Some families followed a traditional naming pattern https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Scotland_Names_Personal  but some went their own way  :o

, did the travel across the country ?

sometimes, a lot depended upon their trade and where they looked for employment- The time period in question was part of the Period of the Lowland Clearances and Ayrshire was quite heavily affected.

Did they move away from family
Sometimes

Re marriage - the brides home Parish was a more normal place for the marriage to take place but if the bride and groom were from different Parishes Banns had to be called in both Parishes which is why you sometimes find duplicate records in the Parish registers.

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 February 19 23:54 GMT (UK) »
So would I be right in saying that Alexander may not even be from a Galston ?i mean I have only found 1 marriage not 2 but i am having trouble what this place “Bank” means. I can upload a copy of the writing if you can make anything out ?

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 February 19 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Although when i look back at Alexander’s record it follows in the Galston parish so it must be an area close by ?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 February 19 01:10 GMT (UK) »
So would I be right in saying that Alexander may not even be from a Galston ?i mean I have only found 1 marriage not 2 but i am having trouble what this place “Bank” means. I can upload a copy of the writing if you can make anything out ?
A clip would be handy. Bank in this context is possibly part of the name

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 February 19 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes hope this helps possibly. I have the full page document if you wanted to see how the other places have being spelt

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 February 19 08:01 GMT (UK) »
I have also found a map of the area in 1775 so a similar time when he was around there.

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 February 19 08:09 GMT (UK) »
1775 map of the area and You can see Loudoun is the big town. I can’t see any place called bank though