Author Topic: William Dickson  (Read 955 times)

Offline nessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Dickson
« on: Thursday 14 February 19 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William Dickson born 20 April 1936 father also William labourer from sons wedding certificate.  William died 2011/2 in Leeds. He joined Royal Scots Greys. We believe William was born in Edinburgh. I have no knowledge of searching records in Scotland and would appreciate any help.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Dickson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for all records in Scotland. It is a pay to view site where in most cases you can download original record. You will be required to order birth records less than one hundred years old.

Statutory Registration began in 1855 and there are two possible records in Edinburgh.

WILLIAM DICKSON 1936 Newington - Order Certificate

WILLIAM DICKSON 1936 Newington         ditto

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline nessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 February 19 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, if I contact them would they be able to look first to see if the father is William before I order a certificate ?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 February 19 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, if I contact them would they be able to look first to see if the father is William before I order a certificate ?
They could, but I don't think that it would reduce the cost.

Your best plan is to find someone who is planning a visit to Register House and would be willing to find and transcribe the details for you. If he gave the correct details, i.e. he genuinely was born on 20 April 1936 and not a year or two one way or the other, and in Edinburgh, it would only take a few minutes to do that. Or you could pay a searcher to do so for (probably) less than a full certificate would cost.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline nessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 February 19 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.