Author Topic: Griffiths Valuation-Ancestry search question  (Read 3801 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths Valuation-Ancestry search question
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 February 19 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation Record Information
Tenant
Family Name 1   O'BRIEN
Forename 1   DENIS
Landlord
Family Name 2   INCHIQUIN
Forename 2   LORD
Barony   BUNRATTY, LOWER (PART OF)
Union   ENNIS
Parish   KILFINAGHTA
Townland   SIXMILEBRIDGE
Place Name   LODGE ROAD

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 February 19 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Denis O'Brien  Aghaderry wasn't very tall!

Name   DENIS OBRIEN
Date of Death   1880
Group Registration ID   6519122
SR District/Reg Area   Castlerea
Deceased Age at Death   72

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06473/4861929.pdf

Is this the same Denis??

and this is his grandson?

Name   DENIS OBRIEN  (junior??)  Aghaderry
Date of Death   1882
Group Registration ID   6737474
SR District/Reg Area   Castlerea
Deceased Age at Death   28

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 February 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I can't see on Ask about Ireland who supplied the microfilm but I'd say it's a good chance it's the same company, Microform Ltd. if that's the case there seems no reason to believe Microform transcribed the films so I can't see why Ancestry can blame them.
They need to say who transcribed the films.

Offline Deirdre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 14 February 19 21:41 GMT (UK) »
The screenshot Hallmark has provided is our Roscommon group on the O'Brien Y DNA project.

I have personally organised that test from a known descendant of Denis from Aghaderry so I do know it is a true match and that our group connect to the Inchiquins through Y DNA.

What we are trying to do is establish the migration pattern from County Clare to Roscommon as to when and why it occurred. We have a very distant cousin in Australia who can trace his roots to within 20 miles of Sixmilebridge so the connection seems plausible.

I have been co ordinating our group's UK research into the DNA part for the last couple of years.

I will email Ancestry and point out the implausibility of all the matches with Esquire MD and see what they say. I will post back in due course when they (hopefully) reply.
O'Brien, Horan, Neary (Co. Roscommon, Co Clare, Shropshire and Wrexham)
Dolan, McGovern, McGrail (Co. Cavan, Co. Leitrim and Worcester USA)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 February 19 09:03 GMT (UK) »
As others have pointed out all the more reason to check the original sources.  With Griffiths on the Ask about Ireland site being so friendly and fascinating there is little reason to go any other site where the possibility exists of double transcriptions leading to double the errors.

OP you have said you want to see what triggered a move from Co Roscommon to Co Clare or vice versa by members of the O'Brien family. Rather than trying to find it in individual documents have you looked at broad histories ie what was happening for the populace at the time? It may be some thing like a change of landlord, merging of tenants properties, famine & poor crops as well as the more personal ones such as a son marrying into a family from that area, the wider family owning land there.

What were the dates that you think the move took place and was it a whole family or one family?

The other good thing about using GV on the original site is that you can see the original published entries and work out from them the system of leases and subleases ie the LL may lease to John Brown and then John brown subleases to several others.  You can also see who else was living in the same townland by looking at the Griffiths Places search.  That is a very powerful tool as families often married into families close by and you can often find them on this part of GV

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 February 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Denis junior died in 1880 but his father Denis senior died in 1855 so before civil registration. His death was reported in an Irish national newspaper -Freeman's Journal  under the name of Mister D O'Brien which would indicate a person of some importance.

The 1882 death was the grandson.

Have you looked in the Catholic Parish registers for this death?

NB In the civil registration of the death for Denis O'Brien who died 9/5/1880 aged 72 it has the name Aughaderry, informant Margaret O'Brien (her mark)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 February 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »
The screenshot Hallmark has provided is our Roscommon group on the O'Brien Y DNA project.

I have personally organised that test from a known descendant of Denis from Aghaderry so I do know it is a true match and that our group connect to the Inchiquins through Y DNA.

What we are trying to do is establish the migration pattern from County Clare to Roscommon as to when and why it occurred. We have a very distant cousin in Australia who can trace his roots to within 20 miles of Sixmilebridge so the connection seems plausible.

I have been co ordinating our group's UK research into the DNA part for the last couple of years.

I will email Ancestry and point out the implausibility of all the matches with Esquire MD and see what they say. I will post back in due course when they (hopefully) reply.

Why should there be a migration pattern?  He may simply have been head-hunted for exceptional skills!

My g/father from Co. Monaghan was in Co. Antrim when he was head-hunted ended up in Co Carlow.... no migration pattern!

Offline Deirdre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 22 February 19 19:32 GMT (UK) »
As promised here is Ancestry's reply

Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regard to incorrect record.

Thank you for bringing this oversight to our attention. We are happy to help.  We always strive to ensure that the information we provide is accurate.  Please note that we generally receive data from outside sources and post it as it was provided to us.  In order to maintain authenticity in our records, we cannot make changes directly to material not created by Ancestry.com.  To make these types of changes, you will need to contact the original creators of this data, have them correct this in their own records and then send this update to us for posting.  We apologize for any frustration or inconvenience this may cause.

This looks like a cut and paste standard reply so no joy there.

O'Brien, Horan, Neary (Co. Roscommon, Co Clare, Shropshire and Wrexham)
Dolan, McGovern, McGrail (Co. Cavan, Co. Leitrim and Worcester USA)