Author Topic: Griffiths Valuation-Ancestry search question  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Deirdre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Griffiths Valuation-Ancestry search question
« on: Thursday 14 February 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry I was surprised to see my ancestor listed in the results with the title Esquire MD after his name. This is completely believable as he is always shown with the designation Mr on the earlier tithe records but - when you go in to view the scanned record it does not show this designation after his name.

He also appears with the same notation Esquire MD in another county which is very plausible and totally crucial to our research as to his origins as we are trying to link the two locations.

I do not know where Ancestry got this information from so I phoned them and was told it was already in the database when they received it from the source which is quoted as Irish Microfilms Ltd 1978 .

Ancestry has the option to just search on keywords, so if you put in Esquire MD it brings up a whole load of gentlemen with this after their name in the search but again if you view the scanned documents it does not appear on the page, therefore my relative is by no means a one-off.

Has anyone else come across this and any opinion as to accepting it on face value as it seems impossible to find the source document to check it personally?

I know that MD generally indicates a medical doctor but there does seem to be an awful lot of them if you just type in Esquire MD with no name so that it returns those records.
O'Brien, Horan, Neary (Co. Roscommon, Co Clare, Shropshire and Wrexham)
Dolan, McGovern, McGrail (Co. Cavan, Co. Leitrim and Worcester USA)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths Valuation-Ancestry search question
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 19 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Nothing uncommon there....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 February 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
If you put "Esquire MD" exact, there are 15,594 listed.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 February 19 17:18 GMT (UK) »
That's what I mean so

1) They can't all be Doctors - so does it mean something else. Okay Esquire I can accept!

2) Where has the database Ancestry has been provided with got that info from when it does not appear on the images?

It must have come from somewhere.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 February 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Could you give us a name of one so we can all have a look, putting in Esquire MD doesn't work on Ask about Ireland

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 February 19 17:35 GMT (UK) »
You have to remember that Ancestry has Links from one Database to another to another, so it could be as a result of various Databases giving this result.

That is why e.g. one get hints for someone born 1860 in Marriages/Census/Ship records/Deaths etc etc

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 February 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
That's what I mean so

1) They can't all be Doctors - so does it mean something else. Okay Esquire I can accept!

2) Where has the database Ancestry has been provided with got that info from when it does not appear on the images?

It must have come from somewhere.

Have you tried the Ask about Ireland- Griffiths website?

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Deirdre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 February 19 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I wasn't aware that Ancestry would link databases like that. That does make me feel a bit better as this particular record is a crucial one in linking this guy from Roscommon to Clare.

Here's the record.
If you go into Ancestry search on Griffith's and type Denis O'Brien in the name, then Aghaderry in the place and hit search, it should show up as the second record down on the search results.

He then appears on page four second from the bottom in Clare as tenant of Lord Inchiquin assuming you  have the default of 20 to the  page.

Yes I have been on the ask about Ireland site which is very good but I am most intrigued about this extra info that appears on Ancestry. In the O'Brien surname project we are desperate to prove this is the same guy and wondered about the veracity of the title Esquire MD. We do believe he could have been a surgeon who maybe served in the military but that is as yet unverified.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 February 19 18:05 GMT (UK) »
askaboutireland.ie

No place names matched your search.

You searched for
Place name: Aghaderry
County: ROSCOMMON
Barony:
Union:
Parish: