Author Topic: new beta on ancestry dna results  (Read 24184 times)

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
new beta on ancestry dna results
« on: Friday 15 February 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

has everyone gone on to the  'new' beta version on the ancestry dna results?

For me the layout is not so easy/comfortable to view, it seems stretched horizontally, yet compressed vertically (between individuals and distance relationships).

Then when I clicked to see new matches (under group), I realised that they have done away with pages and it's now endless scrolling.  I hate endless scrolling on web pages.
Have left feedback accordingly.

I can't seem to find my ethnicity with the map and the timeline (which I quite liked).
Also clicking on a match, now takes me to the 'compare' page, couldn't see the page with the pedigree, surnames and maps, from where I could click shared matches.  This was the page I worked from most.

Some of the filters look useful, but the overall view and lack of pages is a bigger negative for me.

As my mom and I have both tested, it tells me on my results which are 'mother's side' - not really necessary.

Whereas the visuals are something that perhaps one gets used to, the endless scrolling and lack of page divisions is really not something I'd choose.

anyone else?

Lisa

Ps also the front page  where it gave numbers for 4th-6th cousins (and you could see if it had increased) has gone.   :(

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: new beta on ancestry dna results
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 February 19 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but not sure what you are referring to.

Going on to my matches seems to be exactly the same as it always was.

Clicking the beta matches on top right simply gives me a world map but uniquely identifying with a pin head where each match is located.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 19 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Mine is the same old format.

Presumably being phased in gradually.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 19 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Mine is also the old format.  I'd not be happy with  it not showing the 4th cousin or closer totals.

Gadget

Added - I see what Pheno is referring to. That is the beta map that's been there for a while.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I just looked again, and the 'front page' is back, that's the one with the ethnicity on the left, matches in the centre (with the score), dna circles on the right -- that was missing altogether when I wrote before.

when I click 'view all dna matches', I go to the beta page - on the header it says 'my name dna matches beta', in the drop down menu next to 'Group', I've selected 'new matches' and it looks like this - see attached.

then if I click on the person's name, I go to the page accessible usually by clicking 'compare'.  The 'view match' option is not there.
[edited at 3pm - clicking on name of person took me to compare page, then on compare page, clicked on the name again and that took me to the shared match/view match page, click on the person's name on that page goes to the ancestry profile].

It's the scrolling and total lack of pages which is the worst, it will be impossible to even try and look through the categories, at least with page divisions you can make a note of where you looked to (and adjust for additions).

not impressed so far

Lisa

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 February 19 13:32 GMT (UK) »
here's a couple of screen shots of the 'new' menus.

some of the options do look quite useful, I haven't tried 'create a custom group', it could be handy and helpful, but I can't get beyond the scrolling instead of pages.  Say in the 5th to 8th cousins, if you have to start either at the closest (highest cM shared) or new additions, and then scroll and scroll, there will be so many matches lost somewhere in the middle, which are just going to be unreachable,  these would be easier to locate with pages, where you could go to eg. page 20, as you can now.
I'm finding that some of the matches that fall into the 5th - 8th group can be very interesting and relevant, but not if I can't get to them.   :(

btw I am sending feedback to ancestry and hoping someone does actually read it.

Offline Rezillo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 19:42 GMT (UK) »
The common ancestor filter is incredibly useful. It appears to be filling in lineage gaps with a combination of people from multiple other Ancestry trees, so distant cousins match up, even if someone has only a handful of people in their tree. It's not perfect and you need to independently verify the 'filled in' gaps but so far mine are about 80% correct. Some stunning distant cousin matches, plus two that resolve a long standing question as to who someone was who married under an assumed name.

Unfortunately, several results showed a likely error in my tree for a distant grandparent's sister. I could confirm this and I ended up deleting 350 people! The rebuilt part now makes a lot more sense.

On the whole, where the common ancestor results are not correct, it's because of an error in a tree that Ancestry selected to fill a gap but so far, some of these appear to have enough geographical correlation to indicate a match perhaps a generation or two further back

You can also group your matches, so I've created groups with family names and bunged in all the common ancestor matches for each one. I've then been working through them to see how accurate they are. This is not difficult  - if a lineage is composed from multiple trees, you can click on each person to see how the tree owner arrived at that result. You can name groups with whatever you like, so no reason why you couldn't create groups not based on names but for various cousin and grandparent levels

Private trees and common ancestors - while you can't view them, you can still click on them to see 'filled in' trees. In these cases, the lineages have lots of blanks marked private but they are still a big help, plus they identify who is worth messaging for more info.

Some issues - if you search by surname, you can't filter the results. I don't like the scrolling list and much prefer page numbers but the group function helps to deal with that.

I think it is a huge improvement - just don't regard common ancestor results as correct without checking them. Just to make it clear, the old system gave matches composed from two trees - yours and the other person's. The new one constructs matches from multiple trees - more to be wrong, of course, but also much that appears to be right.

[edit] Seeing matched trees is not intuitive. First filter by common ancestor. Second, click on the "people number" for one of the results (be adventurous, click on a 5th to 8th cousin with, say, a tree of seven people). Third, in the screen that comes up, there will be a pair of names in the Common Ancestor section. Click the View Relationship link in either one. Fourth, you get a  composite tree appear. Each person in that tree has a clickable link that you can follow to see how the match was derived and who created it.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Jut marking this so that as and when I transfer to the new beta I might be able to make the best use of it.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 February 19 13:00 GMT (UK) »
I got the map.I've heard of a few people getting the new beta matches, keeping my eye on the comments. I decided to have a go at automatic clustering done by genetic affairs and that groups matches for me. That seems more useful, based on leeds grouping method .Similar to whart dnagedcom does.