Author Topic: new beta on ancestry dna results  (Read 24173 times)

Offline Rezillo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: new beta on ancestry dna results
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 February 19 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Looks as if Ancestry have made one small change today to my post above.

You now don't click the "people number" to get the new tree match - that takes you to the 'old' view of just the person's tree and surnames in common with you from that one tree. Instead, you click on the common ancestor link immediately below it. Makes more sense, I suppose.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 February 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't have this yet (thankfully) but I'd prefer not to have to scroll.  Findagrave made the same 'improvement', which is fine for short lists but for long ones it's a pain and a waste of time.

Scrolling is better for people using devices and touchscreens but on the laptop I prefer pages.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 February 19 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Could I ask those who have the beta if you can get back to the old version or is that it  ::)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rezillo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 February 19 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Could I ask those who have the beta if you can get back to the old version or is that it  ::)

I can't see any obvious way to go back to the old version. I'm reluctant to try editing links in case I end up without the beta version at all - I much prefer it, even with the annoyance of page scrolling.

[edit]. Just to add why I'm keen.  With the old system, I had 22 'hints' where trees were flagged as having a possible ancestor match. I had a further 34 Favourites where I found someone else's tree contained a person in common with my own but were not flagged up by Ancestry as Hints.

With the beta's replacement of 'hints' with 'common ancestors' based on two or more trees, I have 87 Ancestry-flagged matches.

In the beta system, 24 of those 34 Favourites are still not flagged up as having common ancestors. This means that of my 87 people in the new 'common ancestor' category, 22 were already flagged by Ancestry in the old system and 10 were flagged by me. This means I've got 55 entirely new matches, many of them with trees so small that the chances of identifying them under the old system would have been next to zero. So far, the majority of these have been verifiable but it does vary - the new matches for my own tree seem more accurate than my wife's.

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 February 19 09:49 GMT (UK) »

I haven't seen a way to go back.   :(
I will be sending some more feedback about the unsuitability of scrolling.
No other ancestry results are scrolled.

PS. I don't know if this is affecting everyone (or just the beta), but the last few days (probably most of the week), there haven't been any new matches (usually there are some every day), now this morning, a shed load  ;D
So it doesn't seem to be 'running smoothly' at the moment.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 February 19 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the beta 'matches map' - which has been there for sometime, and otherwise I don't appear to have got the upgrade discussed above yet, I notice it doesn't map all the matches. 

If I 'filter by relationship' and pick 3rd cousins, then I only have one match showing even though I have 16 3rd cousin matches.  I have assumed this might be because the tested match, maybe didn't specify the place they 'came from' somewhere in the DNA paperwork, but I don't know if this is the case, and I have not yet checked. 

This is very annoying, as I have half a dozen or so matches in that group that I am actively working on, don't know their relationship, exactly, and it would be really useful to see where ( in USA mostly) they were based, as this might help with finding other matches close to them (figuratively as well as genetically) to help me in my analysis.

Oh well C'est la Vie, two steps forward, and one step back, sometimes in this hobby (or 'Way of Life' for me!!)
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 February 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Would I be wrong in thinking that this beta might only be on mobile devices i.e. iPads, Amazon Kindles etc?

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 February 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Janethepain, It only works where the match has identified their location to ancestry.

I have only a few matches listed on the map.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Rezillo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 February 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Would I be wrong in thinking that this beta might only be on mobile devices i.e. iPads, Amazon Kindles etc?

PC (Firefox and Chrome) and ipad for me.