Author Topic: McClures in Kenmare, Co Kerry  (Read 4324 times)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
Re: McClures in Kenmare, Co Kerry
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 February 19 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I still think James McClure is a more likely candidate as father for Catherine. The John mentioned in blue italics below could have been her brother.

James McClure also leased property in the townlands of Cappancush West and Reacashlagh

Also a John Mara rented land in Cappanacush East in 1852 according to the tithe applotment books. I believe this may have been the father of my John Mara

also
marriage in Dublin, in Church of Ireland, of a John McClure, of Kenmare, Land Steward whose father was James, AND Sebilla Ellen Ferguson of Bessboro Parade, Dublin

Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 February 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I still think James McClure is a more likely candidate as father for Catherine. The John mentioned in blue italics below could have been her brother.

Also a John Mara rented land in Cappanacush East in 1852 according to the tithe applotment books. I believe this may have been the father of my John Mara

This John with a son John could even be yours! 

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014899/005014899_00248.pdf
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks hallmark, as far as I'm aware they didn't go to America  :)
Main names:
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »

James McClure also leased property in the townlands of Cappancush West and Reacashlagh

also
marriage in Dublin, in Church of Ireland, of a John McClure, of Kenmare, Land Steward whose father was James, AND Sebilla Ellen Ferguson of Bessboro Parade, Dublin

Hi It would help the people who are searching immensely if you would let us know why you are thinking that James as the father is more likely than John for instance. Have you ancestor names of James for instance, since Catherine who are named James ie possibly harking back to a family name. Why do you believe that the families came from Cappanacush East?

As you are aware we have one large supposition to get over already and that is that the Church records are incorrect and the names have been switched. 

Have you searched on the Sponsors names in the baptism register.  The usual idea is that they are connected to the family.  How do they fit in?

Any firmer details would be welcome ie the dates/maiden names and married  for your grandmother & the marriage and death dates for  Sara and Francesca. Do you recall having any great aunts and uncles (ie grandmother's siblings), if so what were their names.

To do a good job and be as helpful/useful as we can we often follow a practice of searching what you might think is old ground, as record sets  change, more records are added. It is always best practice to look and check closer down the line to you.

The records in the US. have you any relations at all in the States? If so are you certain of how they got there?

If you have not searched the sponsors then I will do that. If you have are you able put up what you have found out.

Some BDM dates for twins and their children would be good too. We have the twins BDM.

I will also check Griffiths Valuation.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 21:11 GMT (UK) »
One has to take into account "family stories" and that the Church records are correct and that Catherine Mara just told the girls their "Father's name was John"!

Your mother died a long time ago and you can only go on stories she told you about her grandmothers....  which may or may not be true!!

If Catherine Mara raised the children in the home of her Father John Mara, it would be very easy to "distort the truth" with her children. When asked for her maiden name tell them O'Meara.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I don't think I can do this anymore. I only asked a simple question at the start.
All my facts are being questioned and the idea that a church official could make a mistake on a register is not unheard. I have had a couple in other parts of my family tree.
Thank you for your time.
Main names:
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Are these possible sisters to the James the land steward I found marrying a Sebilla Ferguson? We could investgate these or have you done that?

Marriage of JOSEPH WILDE of KENMARES and MARIA MCCLURE of OLD DROMORE
on 15 April 1857
Parish/Church/Congregation - TEMPLENOE
Area - KERRY (COI)

Marriage of WILLIAM LEWIS of KILARNEY and ARABELLA MCCLURE of OLD DROMORE
on 30 November 1859
Parish/Church/Congregation - TEMPLENOE
Area - KERRY (COI)

I have also been looking at a family of O'Meara who are COI. In fact the father is a Clerk in Holy orders. What struck me particularly is that they have twins as children and one of the twins has Frances as a name. Twins often 'run' in families.
Michael Arthur O'Meara and Elizabeth from Tarbet (probably  a 'living') had these children
twins born 5/6/1865
Alice Margaret
Frances Isabel
20/5/1867 Edward Percival
4/11/1870 Frederick Charles O'Meara

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 00:29 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at Griffiths Valuation 1852/53 on this site
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch
Timothy and John Meara leased land in Cappanacush E
In Cappanacush West Land is leased to a McClure and also to a Leary this name has come up in our results
Name   CATHERINE MCCLURE
Date of Birth   18 November 1844 (BASED ON OTHER DATE INFORMATION)
Address   TRALEE
Father   JOHN MCCLURE
Mother   ELLEN LEARY

McClure in Reacashlagh, Fybagh,Gortaleen.

Still looking at Islands, Cappanacush W & Domore Old through the Griffiths Places search to find occipiers
Looking for all variations of Mara, Meara etc. :)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 00:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I don't think I can do this anymore. I only asked a simple question at the start.
All my facts are being questioned and the idea that a church official could make a mistake on a register is not unheard. I have had a couple in other parts of my family tree.
Thank you for your time.

Sorry to hear that you are uneasy. Please don't be. I have had church officals make 'mistakes' but when looked at closely they have been names spelt differently to what we may have spell them today.
The church register can be a great source of info bearing mind that in many communities priests, vicars were often one of a few educated people.