Author Topic: Devore/Johnson family tree. Ohio/Michigan  (Read 1197 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Devore/Johnson family tree. Ohio/Michigan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 February 19 17:41 GMT (UK) »

Did you locate any obituaries for the Doidge family  ? Maybe William went to Uncle John Doidge in Ontario  :-\ Nothing mentioned on the John Cowling entries either.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 February 19 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I have reports of the funerals of WGC's brothers, Henry(1923) and John (1940), including mourners and floral tributes, but WGC is not mentioned.

WGC's uncle George Doidge died 1932 in London, Ont. His uncle John Doidge died 1941, also London, I believe, but I have no funeral details.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 February 19 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I have reports of the funerals of WGC's brothers, Henry(1923) and John (1940), including mourners and floral tributes, but WGC is not mentioned.

Oh thats not a good sign...... :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 February 19 13:57 GMT (UK) »

Reply 7 - you said "I have previously eliminated the William Cowling/Ellen Corder marriage"
Why did you not think that was your William ?  Shame it seemed to fit with abandoning a wife and two children when he went to Canada in 1904.  :-\

Sandra

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 February 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »

Reply 7 - you said "I have previously eliminated the William Cowling/Ellen Corder marriage"
Why did you not think that was your William ?  Shame it seemed to fit with abandoning a wife and two children when he went to Canada in 1904.  :-\

Sandra

This subject was explored, rather inconclusively, in  a Rootsweb thread in March 2013 " Ellen Corder b c 1878" ( sorry, I am unable to provide a link)

Three contraindicators.
1/ No middle name recorded for WC
2/ WGC with family in Devon in 1901
3/ If shown accurately in 1901, WGC's father would be recorded as "Henry Cowling, miner. Deceased"