Author Topic: Findmypast Security Certificate warning ??  (Read 1241 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Findmypast Security Certificate warning ??
« on: Friday 15 February 19 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Using Macbook OS X El Capitan (I know it's old)  Safari browser. Happily using Safari on find my past my bargain 3 months sub. over the last few weeks everything fine, suddenly this afternoon about 10 mins ago, up popped alert message This site might be trying to steal your details......
Unsafe.......  when I click on see details, up comes the "Security Certificate" but this too has an untrusted site ......  now I can't get back in to Find My Past.....  anyone have the answer please.
I have Norton installed but its been fine for weeks so why the sudden error. 
thank you,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Findmypast Security Certificate warning ??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
There should be a way to examine the details of the security certificate - usually a "see certificate details" link tucked away in a corner. It may be something as simple as appearing to be expired because the date on your Mac is wrong, or something more sinister.

My mum is on TalkTalk, and yesterday her router started interfering with traffic between Outlook and Hotmail, demanding that I install a certificate. The cert was obviously a dud, coming from "talktalkrouter.net" and not having a trustworthy signing authority. Installing such a bad certificate is the equivalent of handing over the keys to your house and all the alarm codes.

I complained to their helpline so loudly that I was put through to someone who spoke real English.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 19 15:10 GMT (UK) »

I complained to their helpline so loudly that I was put through to someone who spoke real English.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 19 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought, but have you checked that the date and time on your laptop are correct?

This certificate thing happened to me a while back. My PC is ancient and the battery (or the little man on a bicycle) who keeps the clock going isn't working too well. Everytime I switch on, I have to adjust  the clock and make sure it is correct (especially the date).

I know it sounds rum, but it seemed to work re the certificate.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 19 16:41 GMT (UK) »
"Everytime I switch on, I have to adjust  the clock and make sure it is correct (especially the date)."

You need to replace the battery. There's a small, thin battery. I had the same problem once. 

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 19 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena, Andrew, Vance,
Nothing wrong with battery as I had it replaced a month ago.(sigh.. expensive)   Time and date are fine.
I just couldn't gain access to FindMyPast.
Eventually did a a complete shut down and left it for an hour or so, logged back in and hey presto all fine again --- weird!!  ???  I think the security warning was odd, the expiry on the certificate was 29 January, but I was also receiving warning that the site advising of the warning wasn't safe.! 
Thank you all for helping all ideas are welcome when it don't just work.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk