Author Topic: Welsh Records removed from FindMyPast  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Welsh Records removed from FindMyPast
« on: Friday 15 February 19 22:16 GMT (UK) »
This is more of a sulk than anything...

A DNA cousin of mine matched up and I agreed to send her copies of my info, except I didn't know where I put my original images of PRs from our Welsh line. So I went onto FindMyPast where I found them originally and they were gone...

Asked about it...

"Unfortunately some Welsh parishes have asked for their records to be removed from Findmypast, and Meidrim is one of them. We have complied with their wishes and removed the records, though it doesn't appear FamilySearch have removed references to them."

Wish I'd known that before I bought a new sub just for access to those records...

::)

I could only really find those records on FindMyPast. Are they gone from the whole internet?

Ayashi

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Records removed from FindMyPast
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 February 19 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried www.freereg.org.uk?

Roger

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 19 00:37 GMT (UK) »
"Unfortunately some Welsh parishes have asked for their records to be removed from Findmypast, and Meidrim is one of them. We have complied with their wishes and removed the records, though it doesn't appear FamilySearch have removed references to them."

Wish I'd known that before I bought a new sub just for access to those records...

Wow - not good!  I can't understand how they were able to include them in the first place if they hadn't been granted permission, unless it was for a specified period only, in which case they really should make this clear. 

I've found the Welsh records on FindMyPast incredibly helpful - especially when trying to distinguish the multitude of people with the same name - so this is really quite concerning.  Time to check I've downloaded everything methinks!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 19 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you could consider contacting the Meidrim parish and explain how you can no longer view their records that you paid for  via your FindMyPast sub and ask them to please send you the images for : ... and then list each of the ancestors & dates & the event ...  they may be willing to send specific ones through...  especially as all the work involved in digitising them has already been done ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 19 01:56 GMT (UK) »
My Ancestry.com.au has Meidrim records if I can help you?
shume    australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 19 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Despair- yes, I think I've found bits and pieces on FreeREG but the vast majority of Meidrim records were on FindMyPast.

Jomot- Unless I've just scuppered it, you can still get to a lot (not all, but a lot) of Meidrim original images through the FindMyPast links on FamilySearch entries, so I did grab most of my missing PRs. Unfortunately not all of them. I imagine the same would go for other areas of Wales.

Majm- Thanks. Hopefully I'll find the originals, I wouldn't have deleted them so I expect they are on a memory stick somewhere.

Shume- I have Ancestry UK. I'm not getting any hits for my family (or even just "Jones") for Meidrim. It would be odd if they were on Aus Ancestry but not here.

Ayashi :(

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 19 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry (UK) has images for
'England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers' for Meidrim
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 February 19 09:34 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has baptismal records (transcription only) for Mydrim from 14th April 1761 (David Watt) to 20 Aug 1857 (David Rogers).

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 February 19 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting "hits " for Jones in Meidrim on my Ancestry.com.au
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia