Author Topic: Hercules Lower  (Read 3926 times)

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hercules Lower
« on: Friday 15 February 19 23:54 GMT (UK) »

Please can you help in finding Hercules Lower's baptism.

He married Lore Alee at St Marnarck's Lanreath on 1 Jan 1597/98 and was buried there 1639.

I have tried OPC and FreeReg with Lanreath and just Cornwall without success.

Thank you

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hercules Lower
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 19 14:40 GMT (UK) »
You will have found many of the Lower ancestors on FreeREG. However there is a tree online-details of which will need checking very well, that goes right back on this family into the 1400's. It says that Hercules was born in 1570 in St Winnow, Cornwall, it goes back to his gr. grandfather Nicholas who had a son in 1473 called William Lower. Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 19 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Can you please tell me where you found the tree online.   I have tried but only find the 'famous' Lower's without any mention of Archelus/Hercules.

It is because of this link to the William and Nicholas Lower's that I had my DNA tested and found a match to the Henwoods, who are a link to the Lower's.
      I have located a Will of a William Lower of Warleggan  proved 1753.
All the names from the will are on my tree, dates verified by ancestry and Free Reg. Archelus/Hercules Lower is mentioned with sisters, but no link is mentioned, their father Thomas Lower 1607 was the son of the Archelus/Hercules that I am trying to find the parents of.

Regards and thanks
      Suzanne

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
The Lower tree is documented in the Visitations of Cornwall.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 22:07 GMT (UK) »

Thank you, really appreciated.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 09:41 GMT (UK) »
you can access the registers for Lanreath via FamilySearch

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nfa/

I had a look for Hercules but didn't spot any Lower baptisms or marriages before the 1597 marriage. Only some burials for St Winnow available.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 15:06 GMT (UK) »

Tried my best to read the olde English to no avail. Not a Archelus/Hercules to be found in Lanreath St Winnow or Warleggan.

Found the relevant pages in the Vistations no baptisms for any of the Lower's only marriage and buriel. Strange.    Interesting reading though.

Archelus/Hercules married to Lore Allee/ Aleigh his father is named as William Lower buried 1584 no wife mentioned. William has a sister named Amye who married William Assherton, ancestry and about 30 trees have Amye as His wife.
    This William is the son of William Lower Sherrif of Cornwall and Elizabeth Pentier.

One day all will be revealed.

Thank you for looking, Osprey.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 18:04 GMT (UK) »
have you looked at the Cornwall Record office index? You may be able to work out relationships from deeds and wills.
http://crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/DServe/searchpage.htm

There's a deed dated 28 April 1586, ref X523/1, where the parties include Agnes Lowre, widow, of St Winnow, Thomas Lowre of Saltash, and Peter Lowre. Agnes had been married to a William. The land in question had come to them in 1562 from her late father, Thomas Treffrye, esquire. It also mentions sons Edward, Ferdinand, Henry, Walter & Thomas.

A writ, ref EN/1945, dated 5 May 1570, relates to Alice Reskymmer, widow of William Reskymmer, and daughter and co-heiress of John Densell, serjeant at law, who died in 1564. She is granting the lands to Thomas Lower, husband of Jane Reskymmer and Frances Reskymmer, her daughters.

There may be other documents of more use.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 23:20 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the link it may prove very useful. On Ancestry there are approx. 4-5 trees which have a number beside William Lower's name hopefully Hercules father.
  It is abundantly clear that they have just copied from each other as there are no BMD sources nor any ref. to this number. Frustratingly I cannot locate the original tree to find out where this number came from. Do you think it could be a ref number for a source or file? Perhaps I could try it with the Cornwall Records office.

The Lower Family is huge. Yesterday I found a 4 page lineage of the whole family. Hercules ancestors and descendants take a page on their own.
Again there are no baptisms for the descendants of Hercules just marriages and deaths. Soooo frustrating.

The two families you sent to me are descended from Hercules 'father'
William' s brother John Lower.

Their father was William Lower the High Sherrif of Cornwall, d 1594 who married Elinor Pentier and Alice Wotton.

I read today in The History of Corwall book (online) that Ferdinand after a battle was banished to Barbados where he oversaw a plantation and Wiiliam his brother was shot in the leg. Civil war I presume.

Thanks again Osprey, will let you know what happens tomorrow.