Author Topic: Colhouns of Donegal  (Read 6162 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colhouns of Donegal
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 April 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
I know I'm getting a bit carried away but I made a few more notes which I'll post before I forget about them...

This is the John who was son of John Colhoun the agent who died in 1755.  I think he may be the one who was married to Jane Rankin, daughter of the Rev. Samuel Rankin (d. 1756).

D623/A/39/116
John Colhoun, Corncamon, to [Earl of Abercorn] (20th Apr 1771)
I have this day purchased James Doyle's farm of Momeen, and nothing is wanting to confirm it but your Lordship's approbation. I have a large family and would be very fond to secure some settlement for some of them. It is nigh Raphoe where there is a good school to have my boys instructed, and I am convinced from your Lordship's regard for my father, of your Lordship's concurrance in this, but I thought my duty not to make any bargain of any lease in your Lordship's land without first consulting your Lordship and getting your Lordship's consent, and I expect your Lordship will condescend as to lett me know if you approve of it.

Other letters show he did indeed move to Momeen where he was a quiet but not great tenant, and died a few years later…

D623/A/43/19
James Hamilton, Strabane, to [Earl of Abercorn].  (19th May 1776)
On the 8th of this month Mr John Colhown's widow sold her farm in Momeen; Nathaniel Rogers of Woodland who wanted but the quarter of it was the purchaser; he had before he bid for it agreed with a man who was to have had three quarters of it; that man has given it up, Rogers fearing to lose 15 guineas he gave in earnest, and desirous of getting the quarter, agreed with Adam Starrat for the three quarters, at a considerable loss to himself.

Edit: I did search the ROD for Momeen deeds but didn't find any.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 April 20 16:14 BST (UK) »
Jumping to the 19th century…

Presumably John Fivey Colhoun’s mortgage with John McClintock (1810) didn’t work out…?

Book 636 / Page 176 / Number 436581
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSHS-19K4-3?i=409&cat=185720
Memorial of mortgage dated 20th Mar 1811 between John Fivey Colhoun of St Johnston, Co Donegal, Esq., on the 1st part; Anne Kinkead of Ballyholy [?] Co Donegal, widow, of the 2nd.  For £200 Colhoun sold to Kinkead that part of Corncammon then in the occupation of John Chambers, Moses Craig, Michael McGinly, Samuel McChimmins [??], James Colhoun and Nancy Payne; also that part of Corncammon then in the possession of Mary Galaher [Gallagher] widow.  Subject to a clause of redemption.  Witnessed by John Alexander of Kinecally [?] and David White of Clashygowan [?] both of Co Donegal, gents.

This may be a descendant of John, son of John Colhoun (d. c1755) because he owns the part of Corncammon which was previously leased to Rev. Samuel Rankin.

Book 786 / Page 479 / Number 532014

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-S9SG-C?i=291&cat=185720
Memorial of marriage settlement of John Colhoun of Corncamon, Co Donegal, Esq, and Miss Elizabeth Church, one of the daughters of John Church late of Oatlands, Co Londonderry, deceased.  Dated 8th Oct 1823. John Colhoun on the 1st part; Elizabeth Church on the 2nd; Isaac Colhoun of the City of Derry on the 3rd; Michael Harrison of Ballymena, Co Antrim, Esq on the 4th; and John Church of Grove Co Londonderry Esq and Stafford Church of Ballymena, Co Antrim, Esq, of the 5th.  Whereby John Colhoun who was seized in fee of part of Corncamon; and Elizabeth Church was entitled to one eleventh share of the money produced by the sale of the lands of Ballygown, Co Tyrone and the lands of Drumagardna, Co Londonderry, soon to be sold by decree of the Court of Chancery – said money to become the property of John Colhoun, and he is to charge the lands of Corncamon with a jointure of £80/pa payable to Elizabeth in her widowhood.  A common recovery is necessary to carry this out, so John Colhoun grants to Isaac Colhoun the lands of Corncammon formerly possessed by the Rev. Samuel Rankin and his undertenants and then in the possession of said John Colhoun and his undertenants, lands to be held in trust for the purposes mentioned.  Deed and memorial witnessed by John Church of Coleraine, Esq., and Thomas Colhoun of Strabane.

I’m guessing Mary was probably John’s mother in this one…?

Book 797 / Page 30 / Number 538165
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-Q9H6-8?i=21&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed dated 1st Oct 1824 between John Colhoun late of Corncammon, Co Donegal and now of Strabane, Co Tyrone on the 1st; Mary Colhoun of Strabane aforesaid of the 2nd.  John granted to Mary an annuity of £30 payable out of the lands of Corncammon now in his possession, for and during her life.  Witnessed by Samuel Colhoun of Strabane, attorney at law, and Thomas Colhoun of Strabane, gent.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 April 20 05:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gilby for all this information it has been a great help in sorting out Corncammon relationships at about one or two generations before Andrew born c1780  and died 1865, and wife Ann who died 1867.

This family seem to pivot on the John Colhoun who died 21 Apr 1755 and was agent to Lord Abercorn.
John named his family in his will of 1752.

These were:

Wife Elizabeth who inherited property at St Johnston, which devolved to their son Owens Colhoun after her death.

Children in order of appearance in the Will were:

John; (often referred to as Jack) who inherited some of the Corncammon properties.
Andrew; who was to inherit the above properties if Jack did not.
William; who was to inherit the some other Corncammon properties
Owens;

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 April 20 05:36 BST (UK) »
Oops.That was not meant to happen. Anyway.

Owens; who was to inherit St Johnston properties after Elizabeth. And was not yet 20 in 1752.
Isabella; who was the last default inheritor of any property if her brothers pre-deceased her. Isabella was also not yet 20 in 1752.

Elizabeth, Jack and Tristram Carey were the executors of this will.

William son of John married Tristam Carey's daughter Mary Carey (so named in Tristram Carey's Will). Most trees think that William married Isabella Carey. Also most trees do not include the son John noted as the "eldest son and heir at law" of William in 1798.

Also most trees seem to think that Jack Colhoun died 1795, whereas his widow in 1776 sold the Momeem property purchased by Jack in 1771. Note that Jack had a large family in 1771 including several boys by the sound of his letter to Lord Abercorn.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 April 20 05:48 BST (UK) »
Now to John Colhoun who died 21 April 1755  as conformed by letters to Lord Abercorn

John is on the list below from Taughboyne Graveyard.

Taughboyne Graveyard
Here lieth the body of Mary Colhoun
Alias Mary Owen who died ye. 9th day of September 1741 aged 70{born 1671}
Also the body of John Colhoun {her husband}who died the 17th day of March 1743 aged 78 {born1673}
Also the body of Mary Colhoun alias
Nesbitt who died the 17th day ***** 1743 aged 38

Here lyeth the body of Mr John Colhoun who departed this life
The 21st April 1755 aged 55 or 85 {illegible} years

There is a strong presumption that John was the son of John Colhoun who died 1743 and his wife Mary Owen(s).

It is also likely John who died 1755 was married to Mary Nesbitt (who also died 1743) prior to his marriage to Elizabeth.

This is supported by some other documents in the series found by Gilby in which Jack Colhoun refers to Elizabeth as "his father's widow". See below.

D623/A/33/106
Jo. Colhoun, Strabane, to Abercorn (31st Jul 1759)
I am ready to pay the remainder of bark money due my Lady and hopes her Ladyship will inclose her receipt to Mr Hamilton for me; my father's widow is dead and I hope your Lordship will be pleased to allow me the field which she held from your Lordship, as I am in great want of one, I am my Lord with the greatest regard your Lordship's most obedient and humble servant.'

Cheers

Linda

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 April 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
William son of John married Tristam Carey's daughter Mary Carey (so named in Tristram Carey's Will). Most trees think that William married Isabella Carey. Also most trees do not include the son John noted as the "eldest son and heir at law" of William in 1798.

And confusingly, the 1762 marriage settlement (posted on the previous page) refers to Catherine Cary, not Mary or Isabella!?  Maybe she was Catherine Mary or Mary Catherine, or maybe William married two sisters in succession?   ???

What's 1798 in reference to?

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 April 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
Book 512 / Page 484 / Number 334951
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ4-QFSV?i=562&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed of release dated 4th Feb 1798 between William Colhoun of Corncammon Gent and John Colhoun of Rushfield Gent, eldest son and heir at law of said William Colhoun, both of Co Donegal on the 1st part; George Carey [Cary] of the city of Londonderry Esq on the other part, whereby said William Colhoun and John Colhoun granted to George Carey that part of Corncammon formerly held and enjoyed by Charles McFarland and his undertenants James Fleming, Seth Kelly, James Fay, James Coyle and Alexander French, commonly known by the name of the Fourth Division of the Townland of Corncammon, and then in the possession of said William Colhoun and his undertenants.  Witnessed by Peter McDonagh and John Carey both of the city of Londonderry, Gents.  Memorial witnessed by Peter McDonagh and William Dogherty of the City of Londonderry, writing clerk.

[

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 April 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
Book 512 / Page 484 / Number 334951
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ4-QFSV?i=562&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed of release dated 4th Feb 1798 between William Colhoun of Corncammon Gent and John Colhoun of Rushfield Gent, eldest son and heir at law of said William Colhoun, both of Co Donegal on the 1st part; George Carey [Cary] of the city of Londonderry Esq on the other part, whereby said William Colhoun and John Colhoun granted to George Carey that part of Corncammon formerly held and enjoyed by Charles McFarland and his undertenants James Fleming, Seth Kelly, James Fay, James Coyle and Alexander French, commonly known by the name of the Fourth Division of the Townland of Corncammon, and then in the possession of said William Colhoun and his undertenants.  Witnessed by Peter McDonagh and John Carey both of the city of Londonderry, Gents.  Memorial witnessed by Peter McDonagh and William Dogherty of the City of Londonderry, writing clerk.

[

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 April 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the double 1798 entry. I was experimenting with the quote feature and was not sure if the first attempt  had worked.

The 1762 document also involved Owen Colhoun who who at that time would have been about 30 years old or younger. So it is possible that Owen was marrying Catherine Carey. I do not know the name of Owen's wife, assuming he did marry.

It is possible  there may have been more than one Carey/Colhoun marriage.