Author Topic: Colhouns of Donegal  (Read 6398 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colhouns of Donegal
« on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:18 GMT (UK) »
I had an old Post on the Derry site relating to Andrew Colhoun of Bishops St Londonderry, born c 1823 who died 1881.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=525124.msg6677829#msg6677829

I will copy my latest information and questions across to this site as my questions relate to more to Donegal than Derry.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Colhouns of Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Continued from 2011 post for Andrew Colhoun of Bishops St Londonderry.

I would now like to widen this topic to the family of Andrew Colhoun as recent DNA results show that Andrew Colhoun was probably a cousin of my gt grandfather William John Dougherty. The main suspect for the DNA match is William John Dougherty's mother whose name is not known.

I think Andrew Colhoun may have been the son of Andrew Colhoun of Corncannon(?) who the Londonderry Sentinal of 7 Feb 1865 said died

On the 3rd February (1865), at his residence, Corncammon, Mr. Andrew Colhoun, aged 85 years.

Can anyone tell me if this is close to or the same as Corncamble?

I also have a death notice for an Ann Colhoun who died 1867 and could have been the widow of this Andrew Colhoun:

December 22, at her son's residence, Tullyannan, Ann, relict of the late Mr. Andrew Colhoun, aged 79 years.

This is what I have so far. Andrew Colhoun born c1823 died 1881 and his wife Catherine nee Shiels did not have family of their own.

The Will of Andrew Colhoun late of Bishop-street Londonderry Publican and Grocer who died 17 February 1881 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Alexander M'Vicker of Shipquay-street and George Walker of Magazine-street both in Londonderry two of the Executors. (Former Grant 21 April 1881.) (Double Probate). Effects £3,000

Andrew listed his siblings in tis order:
 Samuel, John, Thomas, William, Ann, Jane and family of deceased sister Isabella, then lastly Hugh.

From the wording in Andrew's will I do not think Hugh was married or had any family.

Jane Colhoun b c 1826 married David Rutherford at Taughboyne on 15 Jun 1846. The record I can see in Ancestry does not name her father. I have several Rutherford DNA matches. Catherine Colhoun, widow of Andrew, died in 1894 and left a will.

To my nephew Henry Rutherford who now resides with me I bequeath and devise the house shop and premises as now in my occupation in Bishop Street in the said City of Londonderry together with all stock in the said shop, shop fixture and fittings, furniture in said house an all my interest and good will in the business as now carried on by me in the said premises. I also bequeath to the said Henry Rutherford the sum of three hundred pounds sterling.

I also have DNA matches to a descendent of a Wiliam Colhoun b c1820 ( who married Elizabeth Roulston) and I think to Samuel Colhoun (1817-1914) who married Margery Roulston. Potentially these are brothers of Andrew.

I checked the Griffiths valuations for Tullyannan and there was only one Colhoun listed there and that was Samuel Colhoun. I do not know if this is the same Samuel as above.

Lastly, I have also discovered a lesser DNA match to someone whose Colhoun Ancestor was the Jane Colhoun, daughter of William who

On the 16th ult., at the house of Mr. George Rodgers, of Killyverry, by the Rev. William Scott, Mr. Joseph Huston, of Killyverry, to Jane, eldest daughter of Mr. William Colhoun, of Drummany, near Letterkenny.

This brings me to another question about geography. There is another Andrew Colhoun who died 1865 and left a will

The Will (with one Codicil) of Andrew Colhoun late of Londonderry in the County of Londonderry Woollen-draper deceased who died 28 May 1865 at Moville in the County of Donegal was proved at Londonderry by the oaths of Thomas Miles Grover and Joseph Orr Merchant both of Londonderry aforesaid the Executors.

Andrew names a sister Jane who was married to Thomas Miles (in June 1838)

On the 5th inst., at Manorcunningham Church, by the Rev. Mr. Chapman, Mr. Thomas Miles, of this City, to Jane, eldest daughter of Mr. William Colhoun, of Lifford.

I was wondering how close Lifford was to Durmmanny but as both daughters were named Jane, I assume they are daughters of different Williams?

So I would appreciate input from anyone who can expand and connect the various Colhouns of Donegal with the siblings or parents of Andrew who died 1881.

I have not been able to positively identify the spouses of John, Thomas, Ann or Isabella.

Cheers

Linda.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Here are some deeds for Corncammon/Corncamble.  I’m not entirely sure how they all fit together yet.

Book 258 / Page 198 / Number 170516
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-N9T8-7?i=109&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed tripartite dated 5th June 1762 between William Colhoun of Corncamon, parish of Taboyne [Taughboyne], Co Donegal, Gent, on the 1st part; Tristram Cary of Rockfield in said parish, and Owen Colhoun of Corncamon aforesaid, Gent, on the 2nd; Catherine Cary spinster, eldest daughter of said Tristram Cary on the 3rd.  For certain considerations, William Colhoun granted to Tristram Cary and Owen Colhoun lands in Corncamon to hold in trust for certain purposes.  Witnessed by Rev Williams Connor, curate of Taboyne, John Colhoun of Corncamon, Gent, and John Parkin of St Johnston, Gent, all of said parish and Co Donegal.  Memorial executed by Tristram Cary in the presence of said John Colhoun and John Buchanan of the city of Londonderry, clerk to Henry Sloan, gent.

Book 314 / Page 343 / Number 218367

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNH-496K-9?i=551&cat=185720
Memorial of deed dated 3rd Oct 1778 between William Colhoun of Corncammon, Co Donegal, gent, on the 1st part; George Cary of Rushfield in said Co, gent, of the other.  William Colhoun granted to George Cary the town and lands of Corncammon then in the possession of said William Colhoun, and Sarah Curry widow, Bryan Coyle, Peter Crumlish, James McGarvey, John Campbell, Joseph Thompson and William Black his undertenants.  To be held by George Cary in trust to pay himself £100 and £250 due to “divers other” creditors of William Colhoun.  Witnessed by John Cary of Coxtown and James Lynch of Coxstown, Co Donegal, gent.  Memorial witness signed by George Cary and witnessed by John Cary and Peter McDonagh of the city of Londonderry.

Book 392 / Page 281 / Number 258977
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ4-7SQK-6?cat=185720
Memorial of lease and release (marriage settlement) dated 29th Sep 1787 between John Colhown [Colhoun] of the city of Londonderry, surgeon and apothecary, on the 1st part; Hugh Woodney [?] and James Cully both of Newry, Co Down, Gents on the 2nd; John Fivey and Elizabeth Fivey spinster, daughter of said John, on the 3rd part.  Marriage intended between John Colhown and Elizabeth Fivey.  In consideration of £300, John Colhown granted to Hugh Woodney and James Culley half of the townland of Corncamon, Barony of Raphoe, Co Donegal.  John Fivey granted to Hugh Woodney and James Culley the part lands of Greenan near Loughbrickland, Co Down, which he was then intitled to under the will of his father Thomas Fivey deceased, and also the part of Greenan lately purchased by him from his daughter to the said Elizabeth Fivey for the residue of a term of 2000 years.  Witnessed by Cathe [?] Toubert of Canal St, Newry, widow, and Danl Brown of Newry, attorney.

Book 396 / Page 162 / Number 260736
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-5PWF?i=90&cat=185720
Memorial of a mortgage dated May 1787 between John Colhown [Colhoun] of Corncammon, Co Donegal, gent, on the 1st part; William Gallagher of Ruskey, Co Donegal, farmer, on the second.  Whereby John Colhoun granted to Gallagher the moiety of Corncammon as theretofore was in the occupation of John Colhoun deceased and his undertenants, and now of the said John Colhoun.  The moiety being the north side of the townland of Corncammon, Barony of Raphoe, Co Donegal.  William Gallagher to hold with all rights, subject to an annuity of £20/pa, plus a clause of redemption upon payment of a certain sum.  Deed and memorial witnessed by Peter McDonagh, not. pub., and Peter McDonagh junior, both of the City of Londonderry.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 20 17:07 BST (UK) »
Book 512 / Page 484 / Number 334951
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ4-QFSV?i=562&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed of release dated 4th Feb 1798 between William Colhoun of Corncammon Gent and John Colhoun of Rushfield Gent, eldest son and heir at law of said William Colhoun, both of Co Donegal on the 1st part; George Carey [Cary] of the city of Londonderry Esq on the other part, whereby said William Colhoun and John Colhoun granted to George Carey that part of Corncammon formerly held and enjoyed by Charles McFarland and his undertenants James Fleming, Seth Kelly, James Fay, James Coyle and Alexander French, commonly known by the name of the Fourth Division of the Townland of Corncammon, and then in the possession of said William Colhoun and his undertenants.  Witnessed by Peter McDonagh and John Carey both of the city of Londonderry, Gents.  Memorial witnessed by Peter McDonagh and William Dogherty of the City of Londonderry, writing clerk.

Book 624 / Page 5 / Number 426909
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-QSX3-X?i=281&cat=185720
Memorial of deed of mortgage dated 16th Apr 1810 between John Fivey Colhoun of St Johnstown, Co Donegal, Esq. on the 1st part; John McClintock of Ardagh [?] in Co Donegal, farmer, of the other.  For £200, Colhoun granted to McClintock that part of Corncamon as then in the occupation of John Chambers, Moses Craig, Michael McGinley [?], Samuel McCliners [?], James Colhoun, & Nancy [?] Payne or the other tenants of the said John Fivey Colhoun.  McClintock to hold subject to a clause of redemption.  Witnesses John Alexander of Kinecally [?] Gent [+Atty?] John Mills of Lislughry [?] & James [?] Pikistwon [?] of St. Johnstown, all in Co Donegal.  Memorial witnessed by John Alexander and John Mills.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 20 18:21 BST (UK) »
Here’s an earlier one…

Book 69 / Page 359 / Number 48717
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSN1-63YM-S?i=205&cat=185720
Memorial of deed and release dated 15th and 16th Oct 1731 between William Forward of Castleforward, Co Donegal, Esq, on the 1st part; John Colhoun of Corncammon in said Co, gent, of the 2nd.  William Forward granted to John Colhoun the town and lands of Corncammon (as lately surveyed by Mr. Archibald Stewart), to have and to hold forever, subject to the fee farm rents of £22 8s and other considerations payable to Forward.  Witnessed by William Patterson of Plaister [?], and William Dougall of Castleward, both in the county of Donegal, gents.  Memorial witnessed by William Patterson and Robert Patterson.

The freehold for this was up for sale in the landed estates court between 1850 and 1885.  By that stage the Forwards had evidently been elevated to Earls of Wicklow.

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE%2FLEC%2F4506901%2F00742&parentid=IRE%2FLEC%2F4506901%2F00742%2F002

The tenant was “Representative of John Colhoun” and it refers to the above grant of 1731. 

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 April 20 22:12 BST (UK) »
Oh!  I was looking at PRONI and discovered that John Colhoun of Corncammon was the Strabane agent for the Earl of Abercorn.  There are numerous letters from the Earl to Colhoun under reference D623.

Some of them have some fantastic details, e.g.

From the Earl of Abercorn to Mr. Colhoun:
…when the other workmen are quite out of the house, I desire it may be thoroughly painted and the offices where it is necessary.  I would have the paint stone colour and on the doors chocolate colour.  I desire you will send me word what is wanting that I do not think of, in order to have it completely finished. I would know if the garden is walled in, and if it is, would have some care taken that it be not overcome with weeds…

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 April 20 22:13 BST (UK) »
We also get lots of information (including exact date) for John Colhoun…

D623/A/31/67 – Mr. Nisbitt to Abercorn (18th Apr 1755)

Poor John Colhoun your Lordships agent, was struck with a dead palsey on Wednesday the 16th inst., and has not spoke one word since and in the oppinion of everybody is past all hopes of recovery; least his own family shoud be in too much confusion, I thought it my duty to give your Lordship this account.

D623/A/31/68 – Tristram Cary to Abercorn (18th Apr 1755)

Last Wednesday morning as Mr Colhoun was puting on his cloaths, he was seized with the palsy which deprived him of speech and the power of his right side; he has his sight and reason perfect; I think he is rather better this evening and hopes he will recover; I have taken care at the Court leets I have held and given such orders to those who have the care of the woods that I expect nothing will be done to their disadvantage; if your Lordship has any commands untill Mr Colhoun is better or otherwise, I will take care that they shall be puntually obeyed

D623/A/31/70 – Tristram Cary to Abercorn (22 April 1755)

Letter reporting the death of Mr Colhoun on the 21st; by his will appointed his wife, son, and me his executors, when your Lordship thinks proper we will want an order from your Lordship to collect the arrears. As I lye under many obligations to your Lordship for which I shall always bear a most greatfull sense, if on this occasion your Lordship is pleased to take me into your consideration I will indeavour faithfully to dascharge any trust you shall imploy me in

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 April 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
The Earl of Abercorn was in Dublin at this time, so presumably news was running a week or two behind…

D623/A/15/5 – Abercorn to Mr. Nisbitt (29th Apr 1755)

I am greatly concerned at the 'melancholick' account you give me of poor Colhoun's health. I have another letter of the same date from his kinsman Tristram Cary, who seems to flatter himself with hopes of his recovery.

When it becomes necessary, I would have you take the management of all affairs into your hands, until I give farther direction. But in this will use discretion, according to the condition he may be in, so as not to give him uneasiness.

D623/A/15/7 – Abercorn to Mr. John Colhoun (3rd May 1755)

I am very greatly concerned at the news you send me of your father's death. I thank you for the care you took of my affairs upon that occasion. I have now directed Mr Nisbitt to take the present management of them. If there are any of the May rents standing out, I will give you what assistance I can to receive them.

What letters of mine you find among your father's papers, as they relate solely to my affairs, I desire you will seal up in a cover, and give them to Mr Nisbitt to keep for me. But give him my letters of January 31st and April 17th open as containing some directions…

D623/A/15/10 – Abercorn to Sir Thomas Prendergast (7th May 1755)

I now beg leave to recommend Mr John Colhoun, son of the deceased, for the office of deputy postmaster of Strabane. He is the person I had originally in my thoughts, is a young man, I am assured, remarkably sober and diligent, and has been accustomed to the business, under his father. I order him by this post to send up the names of his two securities who will, I imagine, be the same as his father's ....'

D623/A/15/11 – Abercorn to Mr. Nisbitt (7th May 1755)

This day I have received a letter from John Colhoun, desiring me to procure the post office for him. In consequence of which, believing him a careful young man, and apprehending inconvenience from delay, I do by this post recommend him to Sir Thomas Prendergast to succeed his father. Sir Thomas requires that he should immediately send up to him the names of the persons that are to be his securities. And therefore charge him to do it by the return of the post. I do not write to himself.

I suppose he knows his father bought Caddle's freehold in trust for me. As he died before he had conveyed it to my use, it descends, I imagine, to this young man, who now holds it in trust for me, till some farther disposition can be made.

Colhoun had likewise in his custody Patrick Hamilton's release for £500 paid since I saw him. And also a bond from young McClintock to me for £500 lent last summer. Take these papers into your hands ....'

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 20:26 BST (UK) »
D623/A/15/11
[James, Earl of Abercorn], London, to Mr Nisbitt.
This day I have received a letter from John Colhoun, desiring me to procure the post office for him. In consequence of which, believing him a careful young man, and apprehending inconvenience from delay, I do by this post recommend him to Sir Thomas Prendergast to succeed his father. Sir Thomas requires that he should immediately send up to him the names of the persons that are to be his securities. And therefore charge him to do it by the return of the post. I do not write to himself.
 I suppose he knows his father bought Caddle's freehold in trust for me. As he died before he had conveyed it to my use, it descends, I imagine, to this young man, who now holds it in trust for me, till some farther disposition can be made.
 Colhoun had likewise in his custody Patrick Hamilton's release for £500 paid since I saw him. And also a bond from young McClintock to me for £500 lent last summer. Take these papers into your hands ....

This looks to be the purchase referred to.  It’s interesting to see how much trust the landlords had to put in their agents.

Book 171 / Page 258 / Number 114518
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJM-45MM?i=139&cat=185720
Memorial of agreement between William Caddel [Caddle] of St. Johnstown in the Co od Donegal, and John Colhoun of Strabane in the Co of Tyrone.  For £300, Caddel sold to Colhoun his freehold tenement in the town of St. Johnstown.  Dated 20th Sep 1754.  Witnessed by Tristram Cary of St. Johnstown, William Spratt of Dowkemaker [?] and Andrew Grier yeoman, both of Strabane.  Memorial dated 21st Sep 1754 at Lifford.