Author Topic: Ancestry DNA testing for two  (Read 729 times)

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA testing for two
« on: Saturday 16 February 19 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure I  have read this discussed before but cannot find it now.

I have recently takent the DNA tes and its being processed - I have a large tree on Ancestry so will be happy to share my results when they come.

I'm also testing my half sister - she is happy for this to happen but I think would prefer to keep results hidden for now - not even sure how it all works yet.

BUT she's not interested in doing any of the registering stuff at all so I'll be handling that.  I have set up an email for her so that hopefully I can then take over her account without involving her at all - she doesn't do much with computers. Apparently using her email for her to nominate me to take it over or run it I think.

Any advice or tips on the best way to proceed.  She hasn't done the test yet and I've not registered hers as we've only just received it.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA testing for two
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 19 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Crunwere, This works well for me and my husband.

Give your half sister the password for email and her Ancestry account so that she can view details if she wishes. My husband so far has shown no interest in accessing his results.

Set up email account for her
Set up Ancestry account for her
Take test and register her details using her account and email.
Then 'she' nominates you as manager, though in reality it will be you who are nominating you.
Invite 'her' to view your tree.

When results come back, she can decide whether to share results with everybody or not. Show her briefly (don't bore her!), when your results come back.

DNA settings can be found top right cog wheel - privacy, access etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Margaret - thought I'd better get it all clear in my head before I send stuff off etc - that sounds very workable.  Thanks for explaining it so clearly!

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 19 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi again - just registering the DNA kit for sister - have come to the question:
'Would you like to see your DNA matches and be listed as a match?'

I said 'yes' for my own - but not sure what to put for her - if I put 'no' can I change it later - or if I put 'yes' can I also change that back - sorry maybe I should have waited till I got my own first to know what I was doing! There seems to be no explanation on the form as I go through it.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 February 19 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again - just registering the DNA kit for sister - have come to the question:
'Would you like to see your DNA matches and be listed as a match?'

I said 'yes' for my own - but not sure what to put for her - if I put 'no' can I change it later - or if I put 'yes' can I also change that back - sorry maybe I should have waited till I got my own first to know what I was doing! There seems to be no explanation on the form as I go through it.

Why has your sister agreed to DNA testing? If to see her ethnicity report, she may be disappointed, but she will be able to see it.
But you say she is not interested in the results at all.

Possibly she has agreed to be tested to help you. Her results could split your paternal and maternal matches. But only if you agree for her to see her matches and be listed as a match.

In husband's DNA settings -
"Privacy
DNA Matches
You can see DNA matches of A and A will be listed as a DNA match.
Change
If you choose not to see the DNA matches of A or have A listed as a DNA match, you and the DNA matches of A won't be able to:
Learn how they're related.
View profiles.
Send messages.
The test manager's display name—B—will also be shown to identify the test admin"

For best results for you, you should attach yourself to an Ancestry tree and identify yourself in that tree.

For your sister, she doesn't have to be attached to the tree and identified if she doesn't wish to, but this makes it harder for others to work out where matches are likely to be connected.

Lots of people have no tree, small tree, private tree etc - this is for them to choose, but makes life harder for those who want to establish connections.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 February 19 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I have a large tree which is public so my results will be too.

Have set up tiny tree for sister now - public at present - she is interested in the ethnicity part - just not in the technical stuff of setting it up - I'm not sure yet if she wants to have matches yet - not really sure how it will work - I'm happy for mine to match up with people though - I was just wondering how easy it is to have it private for now but then maybe change it to see matches later on.

If I put her tree private does that mean the DNA is as well - or is that a separate entity - I'm aware I am sounding like I don't know anything!

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 February 19 14:35 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know the only irreversible action with DNA at ancestry is to delete it.

I am not going to try to confirm this by not agreeing to see matches!!   :)

DNA privacy and tree privacy are entirely separate.

Why has your sister agreed to have her DNA tested? For her or for you? If for her, let her decide what to do with her results. If for you, ask yourself what you want from her results, then ask her to agree. Technically the latter is not necessary if you totally manage her account.
If you just want to see her ethnicity results, don't agree to matching. If you are hoping it will help you with your results, agree to matching.

None of us really knew what to expect when our results came back, just a question of looking through results and deciding on a plan to get the most out of them.

Peter Calver of Lost Cousins regularly writes about how to get the most out of DNA testing.

Regards Margaret

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 February 19 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Margaret.