Author Topic: ashfield cum thorpe  (Read 2064 times)

Offline smoug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ashfield cum thorpe George & James Mortimer
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 January 20 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie think we have spoken in the past about our Mortimer Ancestors, i am still on  my quest, but can give you a bit more info on James he married a Sarah Cutting in 1819 at Ashfield, and they lived in Laxfield they had four children James Sarah Martha and Robert only Martha survived she went onto to marry William Cobb in Laxfield in 1846 they had six children. I have never been able to find the death of James snr or his wife Martha but i suspect they may have ended up in the workhouse. James was born in Sudbourne but i have never been able to find his and possibly George's "Moss" father despite spending quite a few hours at the records office looking. George also had a windmill at Wetheringsett the base of which is still standing and used as a home now the surrounding outbuildings are still there too,  the actual wooden part of the mill was destroyed in a gale. I have never been able to find Georges burial either  again i have search many burial grounds in the area including non conformist ones and again looked at records but never been able to trace that although i know his death and have his will he died the 4 feb 1868 Wetheringsett. George and James half sister Elizabeth had a very famous great grandson Lord Reith the founder and first chairman of the BBC, Elizabeth had  married a Spicer Crowe and ended up in London and it was Lord Reiths mothers side that he was related to the Mortimer line, he is my 3rd cousin 3xtimes removed a little distant but interesting anyway. I also have quite a bit of info on Georges children if you ever want more info. Did you know you can buy the parish registers for Suffolk from the Suffolk Family History Society, if you go to their website they still have alot to do but quite alot from the villages relevant to the Mortimers have been done, you can buy them online if your not able to get to the records office to look at records there, I hope this info helps you   all the best

Offline valerie kehoe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ashfield cum thorpe
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 January 20 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thankyou for sharing your latest news/findings - much appreciated.

I will need more time to 're-open' my file/s. 
Firstly though - regarding 'bastardy files' - Anne probably hadn't needed any assistance - I think 'Mr Moss' was in a comfortable financial situation to 'avoid' Anne attracting unnecessary (?) attention?

I must try and update 'Tessa' who also has an interest (& file) on 'our Mortimer's.

Thank you again - Valerie

(WAus)

Lond.//Kent/Surrey  Bryan  
Cork (Dunmanway) O'Brien
London//Lambeth    Small   Muggeridge 
L'pool /Preston.       Kehoe  McDonough  Coupe  
Suffolk                     Rowe   Mortimer   Mowle

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 January 20 03:23 GMT (UK) »
James Mortimer died in 1856.   His death has been indexed as James Mortermer June qtr.1856 Hoxne (regn. district for Laxfield).   Checked on GRO index and shown as aged 61.

George Mortimer married again to someone less than half his age!   In 1861 still in Wetheringsett and now shown as 58 with wife Emma M. 24 plus 2 children shown as dau. and son i.e. Louisa A. Mowle 1 and Walter Mowle 6mos.   Checked marriages and George Mortimer married Emma Mary Mowle in Dec.1860 Hartismere (regn. district for Wetheringsett).   He died 4/2/1868 at Wetheringsett but for whatever reason his age shown as 75 (rather than 71 - perhaps his young 2nd. wife thought he was older than he actually was).   His will (effects under £200) was proved by his young wife.

In 1871 Emma Mortimer, widow, 34 is now a Farmer in Wetheringsett and 4 more children had been born between 1861 and 1867.   Think Emma must have worn him out with 6 children in 8 years!

Perhaps the 2nd marriage certificate of George might name his father (if indeed he knew who it was).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valerie kehoe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 January 20 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Annette.

'Yes' that's interesting -George (Snr)'s marriage certificate/s could possibly reveal 'name of father'.

1st marriage to Sophie Francis (c1824)
2nd      "       to Emma Mowle  (c1860)

(I'm a descendant of George Snr's 3rd son Ebinezer.)

Valerie
Lond.//Kent/Surrey  Bryan  
Cork (Dunmanway) O'Brien
London//Lambeth    Small   Muggeridge 
L'pool /Preston.       Kehoe  McDonough  Coupe  
Suffolk                     Rowe   Mortimer   Mowle

Offline smoug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ashfield cum thorpe additional info
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 January 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Glad the info was of some use, I have no marriage cert for George and Emma, I think they were married in the register office or  non conformist chapel, but Emma moved after 1871 to West Riding of Yorkshire to Armley and died Mar 1/4 1915. Her daughter Belinda (not Georges daughter as she was born 1870) married a Frank Field in a Wortley near Leeds 6 Sept 1890, they had one daughter Hilda b 1892 at Armley, Yorks. Emma (Georges widow) had disagreements with one of his sons Elijah I think it was,  that ended up in court so a bit of bad feeling, if you search newspaper archive for Suffolk it should come up. so perhaps that's why she moved away perhaps she had connections in that area. Incidentally I am a descendant for Robert Mortimer and Ann Rowe son William born 1786 at ACT he was my 4x gt grandfather.  The Rowe family go way back in Henley (just outside Ipswich) Anns brother John Rowe is buried there with a gravestone (most novel for this family to have one of those !) the Rowe's seem to originate in Dallinghoo Suffolk got them back to 1577 their name spelt Rooe with various different spellings over the centuries probably by how the priest decided to write it. Oh am I am pretty sure the Mortimers came from Norfolk but can't 100% prove it but probably the Hethel area but yet to find out for sure, hope this doesn't give you too much of head ache regards Tessa