Author Topic: Lily Adelaide dale  (Read 4984 times)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lily Adelaide dale
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I am even more confused now.

Perhaps we could go back to basics please.

Could you tell us how you found the name of your Thomas' wife

The Selina who is on the 1901 b Coventry, the enumerator has even written Warks against it so presumably correct.

"I have received information that he joined the army and supposedly deserted Selina ,  He then died in the ww1 in France"

if this refers to Charles Longley how can he have deserted Selina?

Was he related to your wife's grandparents?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I think there have been a lot of 'fibs' told within the family here - Selina already calling herself Stringer - Married - (giving a ficticious birthplace perhaps to not get found out) in 1901.   The 'adopted' son John William Thomas Stringer with Thomas Stringer in 1911 had his birth registered as Stringer, mmn Longley so clearly registered as if parents were married when they weren't and in 1911 Thomas claims he was bc.1871 'not known' and unmarried!! 

Also, there is no William Stoner killed in WW1 of right name or age so probably another 'fib'.

Have found a William Stoner who enlisted with the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment at Guildford 4/11/1890 who's stated to have been born in Croydon.

Also, a Thomas Stringer enlisted in the same regiment at Guildford on 26/8/1891 who states he was born Birmingham but gives next of kin as mother Mary Edwards, Hamsley/Hamsby Green, nr. Warlingham, Surrey and can't seem to tie her in at all.  Thomas Stringer served in the Boer War and was discharged in Surrey 24/8/1903. (The Thomas Josiah Stringer born Aston/Birmingham in Dec.1873 had a mmn of Woodward and appears to be the son of a Joseph Stringer and Catherine Woodward so that doesn't fit either).

Since Selina was already calling herself Stringer in 1901 and both men serving in the same regiment wonder whether it was Selina who deserted William Stoner rather than the other way round??

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 16:50 GMT (UK) »

Also, there is no William Stoner killed in WW1 of right name or age so probably another 'fib'.

Have found a William Stoner who enlisted with the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment at Guildford 4/11/1890 who's stated to have been born in Croydon.

From CWGC -

William Stoner
Service Number 2450
Died 23/08/1916
Aged 40
17th Bn.
Australian Infantry, A.I.F.
Son of Mr. and Mrs. Stoner. Born at Croydon, Surrey, England.

JJ

Offline broaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
I think this is the Selina calling herself Stringer
Thomas Josiah Stringer who she married in 1915  was living at the time in Dominion Rd Croydon in
1901 census
Along side him was Ada Lillian Eldridge and husband Horace Eldridge  on census it said they were cousin to head of house TJ Stringer and they were  born in Coventry
Now awaiting marriage certificate to check who the parents were   bit confusing to say the least

Regards

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
I think this is the Selina calling herself Stringer
Thomas Josiah Stringer who she married in 1915  was living at the time in Dominion Rd Croydon in
1901 census
Along side him was Ada Lillian Eldridge and husband Horace Eldridge  on census it said they were cousin to head of house TJ Stringer and they were  born in Coventry
Now awaiting marriage certificate to check who the parents were   bit confusing to say the least

Regards

I can't find Thomas Stringer, Horace and Ada Eldridge in 1901 - can you please give the reference numbers?

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 18:33 GMT (UK) »
To help my confusion please could you answer the questions I asked in reply #27

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 18:36 GMT (UK) »
This whole scenario gets more bizarre by the minute - have looked at 3 different sites but cannot find Thomas, Ada and Horace in 1901!

However, I did find marriage of Edgar Horace Eldridge to Ada Lilian Longley in June qtr. 1897 Godstone, Surrey and a son William Henry Eldridge birth reg'd Mar.1902 Godstone - this is the son William with Ada in 1911 - neither Ada Lilian, son William or even Edgar Horace Eldridge were born in Coventry so why is this place being stated on census (for Selina too in 1901).   Indeed, Selina Ann Longley and Ada Lilian Longley were sisters, mmn Meapham and were both born in Cowden, Kent.  Edgar Horace Eldridge was born 1873 in Westfield, Sussex but by 1891 he and his family are in Warlingham, Surrey. 

What is it with this family?   If Ada Lilian Eldridge, nee Longley was indeed Thomas Stringers cousin, that means his later wife Selina was his cousin too??

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Selina Longley is one of the witnesses on Edgar and Ada's marriage in 1897. 

Residence at time of marriage for Edgar - Tunbridge Wells.  Residence for Ada - Oxtead.

In case it helps with finding Ada & Co in 1901.   
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 21:57 GMT (UK) »
1901 as boarders in Canterbury Kent

Edgar H Eldridge 28 born Westfield Sussex
Ada L 27 born Polegate Kent
Edgar H 2 born Oxted Surrey - Edgar Horace born Sep 1898 Godstone MMN Longley

Baptism for Edgar 31 Jul 1898 - born 26 Jun 1898 - Oxtead and he seems to survive to adulthood but don't know where he was in 1911 if only brother William is with Ada.

this also contradicts any 1901 as cousins to T J Stringer and born in Coventry.

Head of house where they are boarders is James Scott and wife Ellen.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos