Author Topic: Lily Adelaide dale  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lily Adelaide dale
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 28 February 19 03:02 GMT (UK) »
1901 as boarders in Canterbury Kent

Edgar H Eldridge 28 born Westfield Sussex
Ada L 27 born Polegate Kent
Edgar H 2 born Oxted Surrey - Edgar Horace born Sep 1898 Godstone MMN Longley

Baptism for Edgar 31 Jul 1898 - born 26 Jun 1898 - Oxtead and he seems to survive to adulthood but don't know where he was in 1911 if only brother William is with Ada.

this also contradicts any 1901 as cousins to T J Stringer and born in Coventry.

Head of house where they are boarders is James Scott and wife Ellen.

In 1911 Edgar Horace Eldridge junior is with paternal grandparents in Sussex as 'Horace'. It's 1911, Milliepede, where Ada Eldridge is shown as cousin to Thomas Stringer and she and her son William both shown as born Coventry when neither of them were.

In 1891 Henry and Eliza Longley (parents of Selina and Ada) are living in Warlingham, Surrey which is where the Thomas Stringer who enlisted 26/8/1891 said his mother was living (one Mary Edwards, Hemsey Green, Warlingham, Surrey). 

'Mary' Edwards threw me but have finally found Thomas J. Stringer on 1891 census, together with older brother John J. Stringer (both transcribed on Ancestry as Edwards when original clearly states Stringer, together with their mother Kate Edwards, Widow, born Berkswell, Warwickshire, living at Hamsey Cottages, Warlingham.

Thomas Josiah Stringer is therefore the one who was registered in Aston, Warwickshire in Dec.qtr. 1873, mmn Woodward.    He was the son of Joseph Stringer who married Catherine Woodward 1862 Berkswell.  Couple are together in 1871 but in 1881 Joseph and boys are boarders - Joseph shown as married but cannot find Catherine anywhere. Then to 1891 where Catherine (now Kate) is shown as a widow but with surname of Edwards.  Can find no further trace of Joseph Stringer after 1881, nor any marriage for Catherine (Kate) to an Edwards so quite what the story is here I don't know.  Certainly, sometime between 1881 and 1891 Catherine/Kate moved herself and the boys to Warlingham, Surrey and is calling herself Edwards.   No idea what became of Joseph Stringer.

So, the Thomas Stringer who I found had enlisted 26/8/1891 with mother named as Mary Edwards, Hamsey Green, Warlingham is indeed the Thomas Josiah born Aston 1873 but his mother on service record should read Catherine (or Kate) Edwards and not Mary.  Thomas won't be found on the 1901 census as he was away fighting in the Boer War 1899 until 1902 although future wife Selina was already referring to herself as Selina Stringer in 1901.  The added mystery being why Selina in 1901 and Ada in 1911 both stated they were born in Coventry when they were born in Kent.

As previously stated, Joseph and his sons together in 1881 with no sign of wife Catherine.  Found in Newspapers on FindMyPast: Birmingham Mail 18/1/1882 - headed 'LAZY BEGGARS' - Joseph Stringer 50, Carter, John Stringer 18, Tin-plate worker and Thos. Stringer 8, all living in Park Street, were charged with begging in Church Road, Edgbaston.   Joseph and John were sent to gaol for a month, and young Thomas sent to the workhouse.   (No mention is made of Catherine).

I'm just glad to have finally identified who Thomas Josiah Stringer was - from Warwickshire to Surrey.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline broaway

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 28 February 19 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I can only say thank you so much I am blown away by the information and effort put in by everyone,
only looked at the messages this morning so sorry I could not answer before,
I have sent for a Marriage certificate for Thomas Josiah Stringer to Selina 1915 and will let you know what is on the certificate,  ref Mother and Fathers name  should clarify some things
once again thank you all so much

George

Offline broaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 07 March 19 14:11 GMT (UK) »
after a long week waiting for the Marriage certificate it arrived   today
Marriage of Thomas Stringer 25th September 1915  age 42 yrs 0ld Batchelor
employed as Railway Guard   address  1 Henley Villas Croydon 
father Joseph Stringer deceased trade General Labourer

Spouse Selina Stoner 46 widow same address Father Henry Longley  Formerly Cowman
thank you all for all the hard work and effort  we can trace back for certain a little more now

Regards

George

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 07 March 19 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update George  :)

Happy hunting!!

JJ