Author Topic: Nicholas Potts, Castleside about 1843  (Read 5055 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Potts, Castleside about 1843
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 23 February 19 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Never heard of that place (Morrows Row) but I will contact some friends and ask around.  As far as I know, the only other pub was the Smelters Arms but that is in the main street.  I will get back to you ASAP

Hi Neville, Morrow's Row could well have been Murray's Row which was right beside the Smelter's Arms
https://maps.nls.uk/view/102341548#zoom=6&lat=8766&lon=2056&layers=BT

Also shown on this 1859 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/407756/548769/12/100215
(if the map doesn't load and shows a message about 'subscribing' just use the zoom out button top left and it will appear).
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 23 February 19 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Never heard of that place (Morrows Row) but I will contact some friends and ask around.  As far as I know, the only other pub was the Smelters Arms but that is in the main street.  I will get back to you ASAP

Hi Neville, Morrow's Row could well have been Murray's Row which was right beside the Smelter's Arms

Also shown on this 1859 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/407756/548769/12/100215
(if the map doesn't load and shows a message about 'subscribing' just use the zoom out button top left and it will appear).

Sorry but I am confused, if Elizabeth was at the Smelters Arms 1861, which pub was Rachael at, or did she take over the pub after Elizabeth/Ellen/Eleanor departed/remarried?
Census ref  RG09/3732/98/2
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 23 February 19 17:26 GMT (UK) »

Sorry but I am confused, if Elizabeth was at the Smelters Arms 1861, which pub was Rachael at?
Census ref  RG09/3732/98/2
Keyboard86

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102341548#zoom=6&lat=8820&lon=2502&layers=BT

The pub at Four Lane Ends was The Horse and Groom.

A short distance west was the Smelter's Arms (not shown on this map, but right beside Readshaw House and in front of Murray's Row)

Neville is the pub/inn expert, so if I'm wrong he'll correct me next time he comes along.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 23 February 19 17:42 GMT (UK) »
 :) OK So Rachael/Rachel Davison takes over the Smelters Arms prior to her burial 1863 Four Lane Ends about the time Elizabeth Potts disappears and Ellen/Eleanor Potts moves in with Robert Hall?
Keyboard86

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 23 February 19 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Ellen/Eleanor married Richard Hall around 1842 and went to live with him at Allensford and that appears to have been the end of her connection with the pub.  I have had one message to say that she had a connection with the Fleece which is in Healeyfield - just outside of Castleside but still very close to the other pubs.  There has been no corroboration so far, but I am working on it.

Ann Davison was born in the Horse and Groom around 1872 and lived there until she retired and sold up in 1939.  Her married name was Almond but that is all I have been able to find out so far.  I am still probing.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 23 February 19 19:37 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi again, so who is the ROBERT Hall married to a Mary A in 1861 and Ellen Potts living with him in 1871 who are at Allensford Cottages and Robert married an Ellen Potts 1875, all the Hall children shown by you c 1862 etc that you supplied and which I have checked were Potts mmn Davison?
Keyboard86

PS as an example Robert Davison Potts Sept qtr 1866 Hexham mmn Davison by 1901 he is Davison Hall at Allensford Cottage married to a Thomasina
RG13/4821/86/6

PS can I make a suggestion, reply to the replies given to you, before offering an alternative reply!

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 23 February 19 22:52 GMT (UK) »
They are all shown as Hall on a screenshot of the Hall family tree showing the second marriage of Robert Hall to Ellen Potts sent to me by one of their descendents.  There is no indication that they were not married at the time of their children's births.  She was his housekeeper until his first wife died and my informant told me that they were married shortly after his first wife's death.  In each case the surname Hall is shown in bold after the child's forenames.

Robert Hall had nothing to do with the licensed trade; he lived in a neighbouring village.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 23 February 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
 :) So who are the parents of Robert Davison Potts 1866 Hexham mmn Davison
I believe the father was indeed Robert Hall ( Note he has changed from the Richard ) but the couple did not marry until 1875 Hexham?
Someone has not purchased Birth/Marriage or Death certificates, and is verifying everything by census returns?
Keyboard86

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 24 February 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Robert Hall was the father and Ellen/Eleanor Potts was the mother of Robert Davison Potts presumably made legitimate by their subsequent marriage and took the name Hall.

Now some further information:
1901 Census names Ann Almond, married, Housekeeper - Not domestic, age 36 born 1865
1911 Census names Ann Almond, widow, Licensed Victualler, age 46 born 1865 by this time she was the  head of the household at Lane End, Castleside

Her husband was Charles William Almond, grocer, Consett born about 1857 [note there was a Charles Almond, grocer, Front Street, Consett - Whellans Directory, 1894]

1901 Census shows a son aged 2 and a daughter aged 0 (presumably a new born)
1911 Census shows only a daughter aged 10
Ann Almond was the daughter of Elizabeth Davison (b1828) Innkeeper