Author Topic: John Mason St Pancras/Marylebone and elusive D & B records.  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Phisherman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mason St Pancras/Marylebone and elusive D & B records.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 February 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I will get on to the GRO & order a copy of the certificate for the death of Mary Mason in 1843, and see if it sheds any light.

I have also found that the information that Cathy found is transcribed onto both FamilySearch & Ancestry.co.uk. I have just discovered that I have been going with the autofill suggestion of St Pancras, Middlesex, and not St Pancras Somers, London, see attachment. (Note to self, search much harder next time!)

Thank you all again, & I will be in touch again shortly when I find out more.  :)

Offline Phisherman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 February 19 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again all,

I have now heard back from the GRO, & now know that the Mary Mason that died in 1843 was the wife of John Mason who was a gardener of Aldenham street, aged 56, so presumably the same one that married Mary Hutson in 1845, although with approx 20 years age difference (did this happen back then?)

The problem I now have is trying to establish when & where these two married. I have found 2 entries close to the area of Marylebone/St Pancras.

John Mason (Batchelor) marrying Mary Millard (widow) in 1832 St Pancras

John Mason (Widower) marrying Mary Hollingsworth (spinster) in 1834 St Pancras

Is there any way of establishing which is the correct one?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 February 19 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Did he have any children with his first wife?
They were both born circa 1787 so if they married in the 1830's they would have been in their late forties early fifties.
I would look a little earlier - 1810 they would have been in their twenties.

Offline Phisherman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 February 19 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amondg,

Thank you for the reply.

I am finding it so hard trying to find the facts, with such vague info on the birth, marriage, & death records prior to 1837, & with no census prior to 1841.

On the 1841 census there is a Mary Mason junr at the same address (born abt 1837), so I am guessing either a niece or granddaughter.

I have tried searching for marriages of other Mary's closer to 1809, but there is none, only those in 1832 & 1834.

I am guessing John Mason may have been a bachelor, or married yet again prior to this Mary.

If anyone has any ideas on how to move forward, then it will be greatly received.

Ian.  :) 

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 February 19 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I am finding it so hard trying to find the facts, with such vague info on the birth, marriage, & death records prior to 1837,
In the end you may have to settle for the balance of probability.

I found 2 1813 marriages of a John Mason to a Mary - one is a bachelor to a Mary Price in Kensington [this parish record has John's signature which maybe you could compare with one you know is his?] & the other a widower to a Mary Dark in St Botolph''s. No occupations listed, as per usual for this time. Your John was born in Hampstead & the marriage need not have been in St Pancras which is where he ended up living; it was usually in the bride's parish.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Phisherman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 February 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey,

Thanks for the reply and the advice.

Ian.

Offline Phisherman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »
MASON, JOHN    age   69 
1858  Sept Quarter in MARYLEBONE  Volume 01A  Page 278
Died 9 Aug 1858 of 'decay of nature'; looking for burial now to see if from Workhouse.

ADDED: Haven't found burial yet but other Workhouse documents confirm THIS John Mason did die in the Workhouse  Infirmary, Nurse Chadwell attending. No documents have stated he was a gardener though & no address on admission.

Hi Josey,

I did receive a PDF copy of this certificate today.

It says that this John Mason did indeed die at the workhouse in Marylebone, and that Sarah Chadwell was in attendance/informant. His occupation though given as a labourer, and registered on the 19th August 1858.

There was another John Mason of similar age at the workhouse, but I see that he was still alive well after the 1861 census, when the John that I am after wife was widowed.

It does seem such a common name in that area, at that time, & I have been doing plenty of research into this on Ancestry, Find my past, & Family search. I am trying to be as accurate as I can be, but I often see sometimes 2 or 3 separate people using the exact same person & facts from history in wildly different family trees, so I am guessing many do get it wrong. 

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 March 19 10:13 GMT (UK) »
And you are absolutely right to be meticulous in your research and conclusions
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON