Author Topic: NY state marriage - second opinion needed  (Read 665 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
NY state marriage - second opinion needed
« on: Monday 18 February 19 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking through the images of the NY state marriage index, however the early 1940s are of such poor quality, it's difficult to read the entries at best, impossible at worst as they fade to practical invisibility. Could someone give me a second opinion on a specific entry from 1942 as I don't know if I'm just seeing what I'd like to see. I'll not say what I think it is so as to not influence the deliberations of anyone who may have sharper eyesight than myself. It's the ninth line down (so fourth line on the second block of five) on page no. 654 as printed on the top right of the scanned sheet (though it's page 665 on the slider at the bottom and the URL says 664 for whatever reason).

https://archive.org/details/New_York_State_Marriage_Index_1942/page/n664
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NY state marriage - second opinion needed
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 19 01:14 GMT (UK) »
These pages are too dark for anyone to read what is on the page. 

If you care to mention the names of the bride and groom that you are looking for (and perhaps what cities they lived in or got married in or the approximate date of the marriage, there are other marriage databases in New York that can be searched to perhaps find the couple you are looking for.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 19 07:52 GMT (UK) »
In New York City, yes, though the rest of the state not so much. I can only see the "New York State, Marriage Index, 1881-1967" database on Ancestry, and that's the same as what's on archive.org (and the transcription for the entry in question just has an initial and two question marks). There's "New York, County Marriage Records, 1847-1849, 1907-1936" which deals with the state, but my query is outside the date range for that. The rest of the databases on Ancestry appear to be for the five boroughs of NYC. I've had no luck on Familysearch either.

I think I have the bride. Though it's impossible to interpret the numbers for the date and cert. no. with any kind of confidence, the name Hannah Reid and the place Floral Park (in Nassau County) can just about be read. I know she married a man with the surname Eaton as that's what's stated on the obituary of one of her sisters in 1958. So what I was looking for was that surname in conjunction with Floral Park.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 19 10:46 GMT (UK) »
This is what I saw without reading your second post:

Eaton James N  place _____  married 3 31 ____

After reading your second post, I decided that I really had seen "rk" at the end of the location. I  dismissed the "rk " at first, because I didn't think they would include the name of the state in the list, since they were all obviously married in New York.

But I definitely saw "James N Eaton" and "3 31" without any prompting.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 19 11:06 GMT (UK) »
James Eaton matches up with what I thought it looked like :) I couldn't read the date, although the last number looked like 1, so that part agrees with your reading too. Thanks.