Author Topic: Neil Carey constable on Ballarat Goldfields 1854 with unknown friend for cleanup  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
Neil Carey arrived in Australia in 1853, originally from Mullingar Co.Westmeath, Ireland.  He headed to the Ballarat Goldfields, and became a mounted police constable, and in later years, the owner of a Hotel at Bungaree.  He is the person seated in the photo, the other person standing is unknown.  A clean-up would be very much appreciated, and even a dash of colour would be nice.  Date of photo is not known.  If anyone is brave enough, removal of the unknown person standing in the photo would highlight Neil more.  ;) 

Thanks and kind regards, Aussielass :)

Duggan, William - Wales c.1795, Australia
White, Eleanor - Queens Co. Ireland c.1810
Aspinall, Alexander - Lancashire
Beardsell, Jonas - Huddersfield, Yorkshire
Anderson, William - Ballyrashane, Londonderry, Ireland 1802, Australia,Vic,Tasmania
Cochrane, Mary Ann- Agadowey, Derry, Ireland - 1835
Langford, Richard - Brierley Hill, Stafford/Blakedown, Hagley, Worcester, NZ, Aust.
Cann, Eliza - Grantchester, Cambridge - 1839
Tait, Christopher - Delting, Shetland - 1854
Johnson - Shetland

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Carey constable on Ballarat Goldfields 1854 with unknown friend for cleanup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 19 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Late 1860's - 1870's for a date.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Carey constable on Ballarat Goldfields 1854 with unknown friend for cleanup
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
As you see the standing gentleman can be removed fairly easily, but how would you want the composition to be after removal?  Mr Carey can be repositioned with a different background or the same background can be expanded.  Using the same BG would be time consuming and difficult to look perfect, but could be done.  Do you want the same border area in the vintage look or a solid i.e., white color?  It'll be a fun picture to do, but nice to do it the way you want.  The coloring can be done after all the corrections are finished.
John
Blake, Willis, Parker and Whittington

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 19 21:40 GMT (UK) »
As John says the original background would be difficult to extend. I decided to go for a different background and have put him in front of Bungaree station, I hope this is OK for you.
Pat 
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 19 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Late 1860's - 1870's for a date.
Thanks Jim for the time frame, it helps with the project we are working on! :)

As you see the standing gentleman can be removed fairly easily, but how would you want the composition to be after removal?  Mr Carey can be repositioned with a different background or the same background can be expanded.  Using the same BG would be time consuming and difficult to look perfect, but could be done.  Do you want the same border area in the vintage look or a solid i.e., white color?  It'll be a fun picture to do, but nice to do it the way you want.  The coloring can be done after all the corrections are finished.
John

Thanks John for your kindly offer of numerous options.  If Neil was repositioned after the removal of the standing gentleman, I would be happy with any kind of background.  I can understand that using the same background would be too time consuming, and seeing it is only a prop used by the photographer it is not necessary to retain it.

The vintage oval frame does give the photo an old feel, but once again, his appearance and clothing is a depiction of the times, as per Jim's estimate, late 1860's - 1870's, so there's no need to keep the frame for authenticity.  I don't know how to restore or colour photo's so I really admire the talents of the clever people on this restoration board.  The only thing I know how to do is crop an image.  :D So, your questions prompted me to crop the photo, which now helps me to explain what I would like.   So, removal of the other gentleman, and a simple background with Neil cleaned up, without the oval frame.  Thank you so much for making me extract my thoughts on what I would really like to see.  Sorry for my drawn out explanation John, you should be a teacher, you made me think clearly about what I would like!  ;D   
Anderson, William - Ballyrashane, Londonderry, Ireland 1802, Australia,Vic,Tasmania
Langford, Richard - Brierley Hill, Stafford/Blakedown, Hagley, Worcester, NZ, Aust.
Johnson - Shetland

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aussielass! That's great and I will offer my version, but it'll be tomorrow morning before I can. It's about 8:10 your time now, but I'm on west coast USA time! :( so I don't have enough time tonight to finish like I want. Pat will probably have a great one by then too!
Have a great day!
John
Blake, Willis, Parker and Whittington

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Aussielass, did you see my restoration and colour???
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 00:23 GMT (UK) »
As John says the original background would be difficult to extend. I decided to go for a different background and have put him in front of Bungaree station, I hope this is OK for you.
Pat 
Hi Pat, thanks for your creative version of Neil, it looks great, and the dash of colour brings him to life!  Bungaree station is pretty flashy, in comparison to the hotel Neil took over in the early 1870's, "The Racecourse Hotel" in Black Swamp Road, Bungaree (no longer in existence).  Typical of many country hotels at the time in country towns, older style weatherboard, and in this case, a dirt road out front.  Bungaree would have been a "one horse town" at the time, but still populated probably because of the Ballarat Gold Rush of the 1850's.   Just for interest sake, I'll include a photo, the people in the photo sadly are unknown!  :(     Kind Regards, Aussielass
Johnson - Shetland

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 01:04 GMT (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.