Author Topic: UK, Poll Books and Electoral Registers 1800  (Read 892 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
UK, Poll Books and Electoral Registers 1800
« on: Monday 18 February 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I have three related questions. 

Firstly, I am looking at the above book, in particular entries for Durham in 1800.  It lists various good people, and after each it has either a 'T' or an 'R'.  What do these letters mean?  Trade/Residential?

Secondly, why does it list 99% Durham people, but also some from elsewhere, such as Hull and London?

Thirdly, at the beginning it lists some abbreviations.  What do these indicate?  See attachment.

Martin

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: UK, Poll Books and Electoral Registers 1800
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 19 14:49 GMT (UK) »
T is Taylor and R is Russell
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Try this book for the answers to the other abbreviations "A Practical Treatise on the Law of Elections, Relating to England" Chapter III
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nf4/

Stan

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 19 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Stan, I will start reading.  Do you have any comments on under what conditions someone would be able to vote in a (Durham in this case) election yet be listed as living and/or working elsewhere?

Martin

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
From 1430 to 1832 the franchise for electing county members to Parliament was limited to those who held freehold estates  to the value of 40 shillings per year or more, so Durham landholders could vote even if they lived elsewhere.

Stan

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Stan, that's been very helpful.  For a long time I've been trying to prove a connection between the Loughboroughs that I know of extensively in Durham and London, to the 'other lot' in Hull.  You've given me a lot to think about.

Martin

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a couple of people in the Liverpool poll books who unexpectedly have addresses in Hull. I have no other hint of any Yorkshire link. One even had children born in Liverpool either side of the election.

There must have been arrangements equivalent to today's postal vote. After all, it was common for rich folk, i.e. those who could vote, heading off to places such as Bath for "the season".

In my cases, I assume they were dealing on goods being imported or exported through Hull, with onward shipment to or from Liverpool either by sea or by the newly-completed Leeds & Liverpool Canal.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 16:36 GMT (UK) »
There must have been arrangements equivalent to today's postal vote. After all, it was common for rich folk, i.e. those who could vote, heading off to places such as Bath for "the season".
Proxy vote?
It may have been worth their while to be present for part of the election campaign and polling-day(s). Candidates and their patrons were open to being asked by electors for favours. Hospitality laid on for electors was often generous. No expense spared until a candidate or his patron ran out of funds.
Cowban