Author Topic: Could I have your opinion please?  (Read 899 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Could I have your opinion please?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 February 19 03:33 GMT (UK) »
You should see the cost of Australian certificates; and despite being one country, each state has its own fee system. The information on them varies from state to state as well.

This is brought about because Australia is a Federation.   I am not saying that I agree or disagree, just that because Australia was once SIX separate British colonies, that were federated as at 1 Jan 1901 into one British colony, that its federating document (the written constitution) allowed each of those former colonies (ie the present six states) to retain their own parliaments, and the institutions that they had already put in place ... eg their own Registrar Generals Departments covering the registering of land, person, businesses, etc...

Add  :D
I don't have an 'Australian Certificate' in my family history records.  There's no ONE issuing body responsible for such...  I do have various Certificates issued by each of the eight jurisdictions that make up that Federation.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Could I have your opinion please?
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 February 19 04:43 GMT (UK) »
They are not just "not released" in Oz, but physically destroyed.

Maybe the decision was made by a lot of ex-convicts wanting to cover their tracks. ;D ;D

;D  ;D  ;D  I suspect the decision originated from those who came to the Colonies as Assisted Migrants in the years after convictism had ceased, particularly post the gold rushes of the 1850s and 1860s ...... so those families whose menfolk were actually 'born overseas' and who populated the public service, including many who found clerical work in the 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, and 1900s with the NSW Registrar General's Office and thus whose penmanship I and many other family history buffs have tried to decipher for many many years....  ummm....  ::)  ::)  :P  :P

We should also remember that the population of the various colonies grew exponentially with the gold rushes and then with the masses of emigrants leaving Britain once sail gave way to screw steamer ships...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.