Author Topic: Creating Tree on Ancestry.co.uk  (Read 647 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Creating Tree on Ancestry.co.uk
« on: Monday 18 February 19 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create a tree of  separate families whom you believe to be connected but have not yet worked out how they aRe connected? If so, how? I would like to use it as a sort of "work in progress" in the hope that I can eventually discover the connection. But it seems only to allow chains of interrelated people.

Belfordian
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CREATING TREE ON ANCESTRY.CO.UK
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 19 17:51 GMT (UK) »
You can create multiple trees but I don't know if you could subsequently merge them.  I'd be interested to know if this is possible (other than by downloading and doing the merge locally, then uploading the resultant merged tree).  I currently deal with this sort of thing offline and add them in if I find the link, but it means I can't make use of ancestry hints - for all their faults they do save a lot of typing!

Jane :-)

An afterthought - could you connect your unrelated groups by way of a fictitious individual, then delete said person once you've got the new tree started?
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: CREATING TREE ON ANCESTRY.CO.UK
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 19 18:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a long winded way to add a person without a relationship.

Presumably there will be related persons within each family name, but families not related to another family?

If you add your first person to your tree and then add the next unrelated person to your tree with a relationship (eg son/daughter) to the first one, and then break the relationship of the two people you have added by clicking edit on the top right corner of the persons page and then using the edit relationships in that drop down menu, delete the relationship that you have just put in.  It seperates them from the 1st person, but does not delete them, they just become detached.  You could add 1 person from each family first, detach them from each other and then you can add real family members to the relevant people.
I hope that makes sense! but by doing that you should be able to enter as many unrelated families as you want.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk