Author Topic: Contract of Separation  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Contract of Separation
« on: Monday 18 February 19 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I came across this term yesterday and it is a completely new one on me.

I have a couple in my tree who were married in 1786. He died in 1840 and she in 1843.

Having downloaded his very long will with 3 codicils, as I was ploughing through the repetitive verbiage and endless detailed descriptions of the testator's many properties in search of clues to the family, I came across, in the first codicil (dated 1828), a reference to a 'Contract of Separation' dated 20th March 1822 between himself and his wife.

I've never heard of such a thing before.

I am now wondering if this contract might perhaps be in the Registers of Deeds in the National Records of Scotland. I do hope so!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Contract of Separation
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 19 21:57 GMT (UK) »
If you search for "contract of separation" in the NRS catalogue, three come up.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 19 22:38 GMT (UK) »
So they do - but not the one I am interested in. Thanks.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 19 23:31 GMT (UK) »
It's a legal separation and the husband isn't responsible for his wife's debts.

We had a neighbour in the 1940s who had legally separated from his wife (probably couldn't afford the fees for a divorce)

I wonder if your couple's separation is in the Edinburgh Gazette.  If it is, you'll know the names of the legal team and there might be a chance of finding the documention in the archives.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if your couple's separation is in the Edinburgh Gazette.  If it is, you'll know the names of the legal team and there might be a chance of finding the documention in the archives.
There's a thought. I'll have a look. Thanks.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I think Rena is correct. See this from 1828:

Held that a contract of separation and provision, whereby a hus- 1
band bound himself to pay to his wife, during her life and separa-
tion, an annuity of £30, in consideration of which she renounced
all legal claims against him, was not effectual to bar her from
claiming her legal provisions on his death, — the amount not being
fair, onerous, and adequate in the circumstances of the husband,
No/ 157. p. 266.

https://archive.org/stream/casesdecidedinc00blacgoog/casesdecidedinc00blacgoog_djvu.txt

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, thanks.

The first codicil in the husband's will stipulates that she is to get £40 a year, which is the sum agreed in the Contract of Separation. It's not a large sum - £40 in 1822 is (according to various online calculators) equivalent to £3500 to £5000 today, which is nothing like enough to keep her, let alone keep her in comfort.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, thanks.

The first codicil in the husband's will stipulates that she is to get £40 a year, which is the sum agreed in the Contract of Separation. It's not a large sum - £40 in 1822 is (according to various online calculators) equivalent to £3500 to £5000 today, which is nothing like enough to keep her, let alone keep her in comfort.

Ooh I don't know.   It's a tidy income in 1822.   Worth as income or wealth £35,000 to  £48,000.    (Measuring worth website)
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm. Quite hard to compare, then, because what one has to look at is the purchasing power of £40 in 1822.